"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

New to cooking. ISO help with a chicken recipe

so, tomorrwo night is my mom's birthday. I decided to make her dinner this tiem rather than the usual taking her out to dinner. But, to do this, I wanted to make a really good dish to make up for not being at a good restaurant.

after searching allrecipes.com, I decided to make this dish: Unbelievable Chicken - Allrecipes. It seemed not too hard and easy to follow.

anyways, i got the marinade made and the chicken sealed in a plastic bad but I wonder about a couple of things.

1) My chicken breast pieces seem rather large, and I am wondering if they are so large that the marinade will lose its effect. I will have time ot have marinaded for 18 hours. I was wondering if I shoudl cut the 4 large breasts in half?

2) more importantly, I was wondering how I shoudl cook these. for whatever reason, I am somewhat scared of the outdoor grill. I'm scared I'm going to cook the chicken dry due to lack of experience and the large pieces. So i'm wondering if I should cook it on a pan instead with the marinade.

any thoughts for an amateur?

Old 06-13-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Hiya...

It wouldn't hurt to cut the breasts in half..but cut side to side, not down the middle. You want a top half and a bottom half, not a left side and a right side. 18 hours in the marinade is a bit much. The vinegar is going to start cooking the flesh way before you actually get it to the fire.

As far as the grill goes...You've got two options. Get over it/get used to it, or cook it in the kitchen. If you get over the fear you have a lifetime of an alternative cooking methhod available to you, complete with all the myriad flavours outdoor cooking brings you. If you cook it in the kitchen you could always feel that a simple appliance prevents you from trying many many recipes. If you follow the manufacturers instructions for lighting/cooking with the grill there really is no reason to anticipate any problems.

Either way, if you slice the breasts in half, they should take about 3 minutes per side.
What else are you serving with that chicken?

Old 06-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I would cook the chicken which ever way you are more comfortable. The grill would be the best, basting with the marinade. In a pan w/a little oil, patting your chicken dry first. You don't want to steam it, you want to brown it. Also, I would cut my chicken in half down the middle. If real thick, pound the thickest part a little . Cook only till the juices run clear after making a small slit with the tip if a knife. Good luck !
Old 06-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I always fear dry chicken too. I found a meat thermometer helps alot! Good luck!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Just don't keep basting your chicken while it cooks with the same marinade you used for the chicken - bad germs live in there and you don't want to keep contaminating your chicken as it's cooking.

Like VB said - about 3 minutes per side, plate, and then just place a piece of aluminum foil on top of them just to tent, not to completely enclose, for another 5 minutes.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
Sous Chef

If you want an alternative to grilling it, then you can broil it.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Hiya...

It wouldn't hurt to cut the breasts in half..but cut side to side, not down the middle. You want a top half and a bottom half, not a left side and a right side. 18 hours in the marinade is a bit much. The vinegar is going to start cooking the flesh way before you actually get it to the fire.

As far as the grill goes...You've got two options. Get over it/get used to it, or cook it in the kitchen. If you get over the fear you have a lifetime of an alternative cooking methhod available to you, complete with all the myriad flavours outdoor cooking brings you. If you cook it in the kitchen you could always feel that a simple appliance prevents you from trying many many recipes. If you follow the manufacturers instructions for lighting/cooking with the grill there really is no reason to anticipate any problems.

Either way, if you slice the breasts in half, they should take about 3 minutes per side.
What else are you serving with that chicken?
well, after reading everyone's responses, i think i'll try grilling it and also cutting it top and bottom.

don't know what i am going to serve with it yet, bought some potatoes and have some asparagus. wasn't quite sure what i was going to do with the potatoes, and as for the asparagus, ive had good experiences grilling it with balsamic vinegar and putting parmasean on top.

any thoughts for hte potatoes? (never really recall doing a potato dish before, i'm 18)
Old 06-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
Head Chef

I'm not a big grill person "yet", but since your using the grill....maybe just cook the potatoes on the grill. Nuke them to get them started and than mix them with some olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Wrap them in tin foil and cook on grill until done. I'm just not sure how long, because I don't have a lot of experience with grilling. My DH does the grilling - usually simple stuff like hot dogs and hamburgers or even steak and chicken. He doesn't pay too much attention to it and sometimes things come out dry or overcooked "lol". That's why I'm not rushing him into grilling yet this year. I take care of a 1 year old and the grill is on the front lawn so it's hard for me to actually even "try" to use it. Plus to boot....He hasn't gotten propane for it yet this year. ok sorry to get off track. but that's my grilling idea for potatoes.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018
I'm not a big grill person "yet", but since your using the grill....maybe just cook the potatoes on the grill. Nuke them to get them started and than mix them with some olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Wrap them in tin foil and cook on grill until done.
I do that except I don't use the foil; you can get a nice crispy texture to the skin.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb62388
well, after reading everyone's responses, i think i'll try grilling it and also cutting it top and bottom.

don't know what i am going to serve with it yet, bought some potatoes and have some asparagus. wasn't quite sure what i was going to do with the potatoes, and as for the asparagus, ive had good experiences grilling it with balsamic vinegar and putting parmasean on top.

any thoughts for hte potatoes? (never really recall doing a potato dish before, i'm 18)
Twice-baked potatoes are yummy and easy: Everyday Food . Recipes . Twice-Baked Potatoes | PBS

You can also fry up a few slices of bacon till it's crisp, drain it on paper towels, and chop it; then saute some finely chopped onion in the bacon grease, drain it, and add the bacon and onion to the potato mixture before filling the potato shells.

btw, in the summer, I rarely use my oven, so this could be done on the grill if you have a grill-proof pan, like cast-iron, or disposable aluminum.

Tags
None