"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Lovely looking dish Tatt. Can't wait to try it myself! Thank you for sharing with your very informative tutorial.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #22
Flour Child

Thank you, tattrat, for your reply to my question regarding "why use Yukon Gold potatoes". That makes sense. I've observed that many cooks follow your same preference and I've wondered why for a very long time...case closed, ty.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #23
Executive Chef

i prefer yukon potatoes for most dishes too, except for baked potatoes and fries. i find i need to use less butter with yukons than other types of potatoes. could it be only their pretty buttery-yellow color that explains the richer flavor?

sometimes i like to pick the wee baby-sized potatoes in the bulk section of yukon gold potatoes. they are so yum parsley-boiled or oven-browned surrounding a roast or meatloaf.... :)

Tags
chicken, recipe

Oh No, Not Another Chicken Dish!! I am so Chicken'd out, no more! Monday, is beef. No ifs, ands, or chicken butts about it. . . This WAS to be a braised dish, BUT, my rondeau has gone missing, so everything ended up being stewed, no big whoop, it was still good, and I was pleased with spreading a $4 chicken into 4 nights of meals! SO here we go. . . [B]TATTRAT Braised Chicken w/ Whipped potatoes [/B] It's rich, and very flavorful, but also light enough to where paired with the spuds, it's not gonna weigh you down like crazy. I love dishes like this, now that it's getting cooler at night, the days shorter, it's just the kinda stick to your ribs meal that gets you happy on the inside. [B]AND ON TO THE DISH:[/B] [SIZE=5][B]What you will need:[/B][/SIZE] [IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8317/8034686438_7f7db246c3_b.jpg[/IMG] [B]-FOR THE BIRD-[/B] -1 Chicken, or precut/8cut chicken -6 Cloves Garlic, crushed -1 Onion -2 Potatoes, peeled and sliced for the "stew" -4 Carrots, peeled and cut into uniform shapes -1/4 Bag of frozen peas -1 Bottle of Wine, Cook with what you would drink. Please, don't use "cooking wine" as it is loaded with sodium. You also don't have to spend $30 on the bottle either, just use your brain. -2 Cans of Chicken Stock(Low Sodium) -Dried Rosemary -Dried Thyme -4 Bay leaves(depending on size) -1 Tablespoon of Sweet Paprika [B]-For the Whipped Potatoes-[/B] -Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced -Butter, I cook with unsalted -Reserved Chicken Stock -Whole Milk [B]COOKING VESSEL:[/B] Again, I use my "Go to", "One Size Fits All" large sauté pan. use this to Brown off the chicken before putting into the larger vessel for stewing down. [IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8042/8034690990_3fc55823df_b.jpg[/IMG] Again, with the soup pot/stock pot. Not having a Rondeau, this will work in a pinch. [IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8038/8034692713_8082206945_b.jpg[/IMG] [B]PREP: [/B] Quarter chicken and get it marinated. I tend to do 24 hours, and MAKE SURE to season both the skin, and meat side. Be generous with it. 3 stars 1 reviews