Shredded chicken in slow cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lovex4 said:
Actually my sister told me to use root beer... I have used coke before and it always comes out amazing!!!!

What brand of root beer did you use? I'm planning to do this soon too!

vitauta said:
i'd like to try this one myself, lovex4, after reading your post. only thing is, i really have never cared for the taste of root beer. does the chicken taste like root beer? maybe i should do mine with coke instead, huh?

I don't really care for root beer myself...it actually gives it a bit of a smokey flavor.... Coke is great too, but the root beer was just a different flavor, which I have been wanting because I am tired of the same old things

Dawgluver said:
Sounds good! Something about root beer and slow cookers, they really go together. Regular Coke is nice to cook with too.

I have great recipe for beef brisket

2-3-4 lb beef brisket...depending on how many people your feeding...my husband eat for 4 so I tend to cook larger quantities
One can of coke
One package Lipton onion soup mix
One jar chili sauce
Mix together pour over brisket
Cook high 4 hrs....
Low 8 hrs

Amazing!!!!!
Serve with egg noodles mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovex4 said:
I used a &w root beer...

Aw, the good stuff!

Root beer has some great herbs and spices. Some of the regional ones would be very nice too. Hmm. Sarsparilla. I would imagine Dr. Pepper would give a nice flavor to meat/poultry as well. Something my books warn is to not use diet soda.

Aw, the good stuff!

Root beer has some great herbs and spices. Some of the regional ones would be very nice too. Hmm. Sarsparilla. I would imagine Dr. Pepper would give a nice flavor to meat/poultry as well. Something my books warn is to not use diet soda.

I have braised wings in Dr. Pepper until it made a nice thick sauce. They were really good.

Lovex4 said:
I have great recipe for beef brisket

2-3-4 lb beef brisket...depending on how many people your feeding...my husband eat for 4 so I tend to cook larger quantities
One can of coke
One package Lipton onion soup mix
One jar chili sauce
Mix together pour over brisket
Cook high 4 hrs....
Low 8 hrs

Amazing!!!!!
Serve with egg noodles mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That sounds great!

I'll have to dig out my cola pulled pork recipe. It's cooked in the coke, then drained and shredded. :yum:

Last edited:
powerplantop said:
I have braised wings in Dr. Pepper until it made a nice thick sauce. They were really good.

Have you posted the recipe, PPO? This sounds interesting.

Dawgluver said:
That sounds great!

I'll have to dig out my cola pulled pork recipe. It's cooked in the coke, then drained and shredded. :yum:

Absolutely, please share... Always looking for new recipes :)

Like I said before, cooking is science .

Once past being fully cooked all you do is expel the chicken's moisture out. This will dry the meat.

It's just a fact. It's food science 101.

You dont notice or don't care, which is fine. My mom prefers dry poultry.

Braising is not a good technique with very lean protein. Pork tenderloin and filet of beef don't do well in a crockpot either.

Tis true.
But, I would guess that most people (including myself) who do chicken breasts in the crock are using some type of sauce. I wouldn't just cook chicken in there to eat plain and dry. I usually do forms of "pulled chicken" in there, which means there's a sauce.. so it never ever tastes dry.

Dawgluver said:
Aw, the good stuff!

Totally trying dr. Pepper next time!!! Maybe on some ribs....mmmmmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom