"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 01-03-2005, 04:06 AM   #11

EEEEK!

Had planned on doing this Tuesday!

Breasts, capellini, etc...and have a couple bottles of "over-sweetened merlot" that might have plugged right in to the "marsala" issue...

Am left unsure...

Lifter

Old 01-03-2005, 09:16 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Lifter...if you use red wine you will be creating an entirely new dish..witch is certainly ok..but if you want to stay closer to the original..may I suggest you use the chicken stock and a good hit of dry sherry or mediera...you will be staying closer to the original and both of these choices marry well w/both chicken and mushrooms. Use the wines above as a hint of flavor to the stock rather than the main flavor..as the marsala would have been.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Thank you Kitchenelf..I made this dish last night and dinner was delicious.
My minor changes..I use ass't mushrooms..in this case a mix of shitaki and cremini..I dont measure my liquid (just a habit of mine!)...I added a heaping teaspoon of red current jelly, I started adding this as a finish to many of my sauces..and smoothed out w/ a Tbs of French butter..I used mozzerela as my topping cheese..it will become a dish I will make again and again.

I'm editing to say that the board seems to be bleeping out the name of the mushroom. "Shitaki"

I'm going to spell it in a strange way and see what happens.....shataki
Old 01-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by chez suz
Thank you Kitchenelf..I made this dish last night and dinner was delicious.
My minor changes..I use ass't mushrooms..in this case a mix of **** and cremini..I dont measure my liquid (just a habit of mine!)...I added a heaping teaspoon of red current jelly, I started adding this as a finish to many of my sauces..and smoothed out w/ a Tbs of French butter..I used mozzerela as my topping cheese..it will become a dish I will make again and again.

I'm editing to say that the board seems to be bleeping out the name of the mushroom. "****"

I'm going to spell it in a strange way and see what happens.....shataki
Shiitake has 2 i's
Old 01-04-2005, 06:58 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I thought I changed it so if someone mispelled it the common way it would correct it - the correct spelling is 2 i's - shiitake - LOL

If you like Fontina and Parm it's worth trying with those cheeses - quite a different flavor from the mozzarella (HOWEVER - I'm sure it was still good). I will try your version with red current jelly sometime. I love a good European butter too - there's nothing like it!!!!!! I too finish off my sauce with the butter. I can see how the red currant would go with the mozzarella - I'm not sure I would do it with the Fontina and Parm. as they have more of a "bite" where the sweet may interefere (JMHO though). I'm dying for you to try it just once as is. The mix of mushrooms well carmelized would be wonderful though - or at the very least baby bellas.

I didn't measure the marsala or chicken broth - I just know I used a tad more marsala than chicken broth. I like a lot more broth than the actual recipe calls for.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:59 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

MJ - you beat me to it on the 2 i's LOL - that's what I get for being so long-winded????? Don't answer that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2005, 07:11 PM   #17
Senior Cook

OH 2 ii"s....thats too funny.....sorry Kitchenelf..I'm not that good at following recipes exactly as is...I get ideas and then go from there...perhaps a bad habit of mine!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:20 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'm going to try this. It sounds too good to pass up.

I'm a wine dumbo too though... if I buy a bottle of Marsala how long will it last? Can I freeze it ( not in the bottle) and use it for cooking again later?

If I can't find Marsala... what kind of red wine should I use?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:35 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I thought I changed it so if someone mispelled it the common way it would correct it - the correct spelling is 2 i's - shiitake - LOL
I think we fixed the problem Kitchenelf
Old 01-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

A bottle of Marsala will last a very long time - it is a fortified wine - unlike "normal" red wine. But I can assure you if you make this dish you will be making it again. And if you make extra sauce to go over some pasta then it won't last that long.

And all you have to do is ask and I will come up with recipes for you to use up that Marsala wine in!!! LOL It really won't be the same without using Marsala or the rest of the ingredients - can't stress that enough.

Tags
None