Turkey Brine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I brine my turkey in a big pickle bucket that I save and use exclusively for brining. If it's cold enough I stick the bucket on my screened porch. If it's not so cold I stick the bucket in a cooler. I'd rather clean a bucket then have to wash out and disinfect a cooler.

Turkey Brine.

just watched Emeril do it tonight on the food network...

1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar per gallon of water. To that you can add bourbon, scotch, beer--or nothing. Add fruit...he used sour oranges. You could use orange juice but I would also add some cranberry juice.

Stick some herbs down inside the turkey--rosemary, tyme, etc... let it set for 24 hours...

Turkey Brine.

just watched Emeril do it tonight on the food network...

1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar per gallon of water. To that you can add bourbon, scotch, beer--or nothing. Add fruit...he used sour oranges. You could use orange juice but I would also add some cranberry juice.

Stick some herbs down inside the turkey--rosemary, tyme, etc... let it set for 24 hours...

In general brine recipes use 1 cup of kosher salt to one gallon of liquid. Use less salt if you sue table salt.

Butterball turkeys are already treated with a flavored liquid. No need to brine.

You can still do it to introduce other flavors, but you should still add the salt to the brine. The salts won't "add up to double the saltiness". The turkey will not get saltier than the saltiest liquid.

So if the Butterball liquid is saltier than the brine, your brine will reduce the salt in the bird a little. If your brine is saltier than the liquid in the bird, your brine will make the bird a little saltier. Either way, it should not be overly salty.

Be sure to rinse the bird off after brining and pat it dry.

Good answer, Good answer! Survey says... Andy is correct. yeh, hoot, whoo hoo, holler, family members jump up and down.;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

That's what my gang prefers, for some reason.

The fresh ones are a bit more expensive but they haven't been shot up with sodium. The frozen ones say thay have in bold lettering.

im using 1 gallon apple cider, 1 gallon pomengranite cider
( or something ) oranges, sage, thyme, and rosemary with some cloves of garlic. let it sit for 24 hours its in the oven now for about 3 hours ( 11lbish bird ) cant wait to taste it. incase your wondering its a practice bird, dont wanna choke on the big day lol. the internal temp is 150 degrees, should i be aiming for 160? thanks

165 is the temp you want. It's enough to ensure that the turkey is thoroughly cooked, but anything beyond that makes the meat start drying out.

- it's already "brined" (by injecting) and brining it again will only result in it being too salty. This also goes for "Kosher" turkeys - they, too, are already brined.

If you're looking at brining as a way to add flavors ... there are other ways that will not make the turkey too salty.

Yikes! I was planning to brine a Butterball! I'm so glad I saw this. Can you help figure out how to make this bird more flavorful? I've put herbs, etc. inside the cavity, but that doesn't really infuse flavor... Ive heard of injecting flavors, but whatever I use would have to be in liquid form to use in the tool... Ideas, anybody?

Yikes! I was planning to brine a Butterball! I'm so glad I saw this. Can you help figure out how to make this bird more flavorful? I've put herbs, etc. inside the cavity, but that doesn't really infuse flavor... Ive heard of injecting flavors, but whatever I use would have to be in liquid form to use in the tool... Ideas, anybody?

I wanted to brine my butterball, and I just saw on another thread here where someone said you could brine a fresh butterball, just not a frozen one. Anyway, my dh doesn't want me experimenting on the turkey since people are coming here. Instead, I plan to use a mixture of butter and herbs, and slip it all under the breast skin, rubbing it all over.

I wanted to brine my butterball, and I just saw on another thread here where someone said you could brine a fresh butterball, just not a frozen one. Anyway, my dh doesn't want me experimenting on the turkey since people are coming here. Instead, I plan to use a mixture of butter and herbs, and slip it all under the breast skin, rubbing it all over.

Barb - I think I'm in agreement with your dh.... I'd rather not take any chances. Next time I'll get a fresh turkey and use the brine....

I do have a baster with an injection tip. Do you think it would be better to rub soft butter & herbs under the skin - or melt the butter and mix with ground herbs and inject into the bird?

I'm sticking to my guns. Everyone is putting too much thought and effort into roasting turkey. Go simple and it will be perfect. I made possibly the juciest, most tender turkey ever for Christmas. I was going to barbecue it as those turkeys, at least at my house are legendary. But I found myself without charcoal and so opted to oven-roast the critter.

T mkae this extraordinary bird, I simply boiled the giblets and neck to make a broth. I added chicken and beef soup base to add flavor and salt (a little at a time then taste until it's the flavor you want). I then added a bit of honey to sweeten things a bit, as an experiment. I injected about 1/4 cup into the breast meat on either side (total of 1/2 cup), and about the same amount into the thighs. I rubbed it with olive oil, salted the skin with kosher salt, and put the whole thing into a large roasting pan, on a turkey rack, and popped the whole thing into a 450' oven. I checked this 18 lb bird after two hours. The temp read 160' and I pulled it from the oven. It cooked a bit faster than I had expected and so I was glad that I had the meat thermometer in to beep at me when the desired temperature was reached.

I put the bird, uncovered into the trunk of my car, the gifts into the back seat, picked up my daughter from her house, and drove to my sister's for Christmas dinner. I carved the breasts off and cut them against the grain. Everyone commented on how tender and juciy the turkey was. It stoled the show, which was unintentional. I dodint' try any until today, as I know what my turkeys taste like. When I did, a day after it was cooked, and reheated in the microwave, it was still the juiciest and most tender turkey I have ever made, or eaten. And it was the cheap store-brand frozen bird.

Don't spend big bucks for a special turkey. Don't go through special preperations, and put a great deal of fuss into cooking the bird. Just heat the oven to 450' F., oil and salt the skin, inject flavorful fluids in if you want to, and bake until the thickest whicte meat reads 160' F., and pull from the oven. Your turkey will be the star too.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom