Turkey Soup w/Spaetzle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I thought I would share last night dinner idea as it worked out well and was fast and easy.

I made some quick turkey soup with thanksgiving leftovers and then added fresh spaetzle to it for serving.

The spaetzle was fun to make and fast. I poked some holes in a disposable pie pan and pressed the batter through into boiling water. After a quick cook I drained into some melted butter, added some parsley and then added to soup.

The spaetzle recipe:

1 1/2 C flour
2 eggs
1/3 C water
salt
pepper
nutmeg

Soup:

turkey_soupo.jpg

Last edited:
:yum: Looks great, Janet! I have German friends who make spaetzle, they used to own a German restaurant.

Last edited:
Nice job Janet. I looooove spatzle! You've inspired me to make a small pot of soup with my one remaining turkey thigh. Now if I can just find some carrots in the crisper I'll be set with some celery/onion and frozen peas. :yum:

Very pretty, well done! I make it and it ends up like blobs, blobs we've learned to love. I don't think DH would appreciate well formed spaetzle because he is so use to mine! Sometimes I put in the nutmeg, sometimes, sage, and I add a little more salt, it seems to make them so delectable. Thanks for the picture!

Looks great, Janet! I tried once to make späetzle and it fell apart :( I haven't attempted it again.

Blissful, sage in späetzle sounds wonderful :yum: I really need to try it again.

So a day after the great spaetzle experiment DH asked if we could have it more often... no problem - I love the stuff but am not interested in sacrificing disposable pans endlessly to make it. Clearly shopping is in order...

Does anyone have any experience with spaetzle makers? I see presses, fancy versions of my homemade poked piepan and one that looks like a cheese grater with a sliding hopper. Any recommendations?

I'll have to ask my German friends what they used at their restaurant. They're in FL right now, and I don't have their emails.

How about a ricer. Push through a small amount then slice off. Start over.

I have the cheese grater type, works great. A little hard to clean, but if you soak all the parts for a couple hours, most of the dough rinses off.

I will have to try adding sage.

Thanks for the link. Cleaning up is a big concern as well as storing a uni-tasking tool.

Do you think that plastic would clean up better than metal?

Actually, this one that I have cleans up beautifully after being rinsed and put in the dish washer.

https://www.amazon.com/Kuchenprofi-...qid=1418500713&sr=1-4&keywords=spaetzle+maker

I store it under my other round bakeware, and it takes up little room.
I know it's a one purpose wonder, however I've used it as a steamer with a lid also.

So an interesting turn of events. I was at a holiday bizarre this weekend and found this on a sale table for 4 bucks, unused and in the box. Sold!

kuchenprofi plane 29.95

Now to try it out....

Last edited:
Cool, Janet. I have this kind. Don't use it often.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 160
Back
Top Bottom