"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
We had a small turkey and 7 people, so there wasn't as much left over as usual. After a few sandwiches, the rest went into a soup, with stock made using the carcass and wings.
I must have a strange family. We like the legs, wings and neck. Only the neck makes it into stock for the gravy. then I get to pick the meat out between the bones. The wings get nibbled on.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #52
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I must have a strange family. We like the legs, wings and neck. Only the neck makes it into stock for the gravy. then I get to pick the meat out between the bones. The wings get nibbled on.
My grandma and uncle fight over the neck. We make them cut it in half lol

Old 11-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #53
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Another idea re leftovers... I watched the local News prior to Thanksgiving, & a chef added beaten eggs etc. to leftover stuffing to make stuffing dumplings for turkey soup.
That is a great idea. Thank you
Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #54
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Also, an organization I belong to has an annual membership meeting on the first Saturday in December, with a potluck brunch; I always make a quiche with turkey, Havarti, roasted red peppers and caramelized onions for that.
Sounds DELICIOUS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Turkey Sandwich,Turkey Sandwich,Turkey Sandwich and a Turkey Sandwich.

Did I say I like Turkey sandwiches?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
OH, I forgot. I have to have at least one turkey and dressing sandwich on whole grain bread, with both slices of bread smeared with Miracle Whip salad dressing, and the turkey seasoned with salt and pepper. It's a law of the universe.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
YES YES and YES!!! Leftovers almost always go into sandwiches, although some gets fried into a "turkey day" omelette the next morning. I make two different sandwiches out of it - one is a "Thanksgiving" sandwich which is basically all leftovers on bread (mashed potatoes, yams, turkey, gravy, stuffing, etc etc). So good!

The other is a turkey salad sandwich - turkey goes into the food processor and is then mixed with diced carrots, onions & celery, mayo, a squirt of mustard, garlic powder, basil & a liberal amount of fresh ground pepper. You can spread that onto bread with some cheese, or take things up a notch and grill that sandwich.

Now I'm sad that Canadian Thanksgiving was over a month ago... I wish I had leftover turkey right now.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
While the turkey was roasting, I used the neck, gizzard and heart to make a stock which then was used with the pan drippings to make gravy. My grandmother used to like to gnaw on the neck, but I think it serves better for making stock. And the meat from one leg and the wings, as well as the scraps peeled from the carcass were the meat in the soup we had for dinner this evening. The stripped bones went into the stockpot with the carcass.

I ended up with 2 quarts of stock in the freezer and a nice hearty pot of turkey vegetable soup with pasta.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
While the turkey was roasting, I used the neck, gizzard and heart to make a stock which then was used with the pan drippings to make gravy. My grandmother used to like to gnaw on the neck, but I think it serves better for making stock. And the meat from one leg and the wings, as well as the scraps peeled from the carcass were the meat in the soup we had for dinner this evening. The stripped bones went into the stockpot with the carcass.

I ended up with 2 quarts of stock in the freezer and a nice hearty pot of turkey vegetable soup with pasta.
If yu ahven't gnawed on a turkey neck, or shared the oysters with that someone special, then you are cheating yourself. The oysters are the most flavorful, and tender meat on the bird, and possibly the most moist. They are delectable. My SIL tried to shame me into giving him one. We had cooked three small turkeys this year. I had already shared with my two DD's. But he didn't have to try and shame me. Though he had teased me about being an old man, I had one reserved for him already, along with my other SIL. The one who teased me just got his last. I made him wonder if he was going to get one.

The neck is mine. Most of the meat is pulled from it, after it has served its purpose in making turkey broth. The meat still on the neck is mine. I did most of the work making the turkey, and so use this and the giblets as my reward. The neck meat has a sweet turkey flavor that isn't found anywhere else on the bird. It's stringy, but delicious. And I do it in the kitchen, away from everyone else's eyes. It's great to know what parts of the turkey are best for what. And I am experienced. To quote Mr. Jimmy Hendricks, "Have you ever been experienced? Well I have." Maybe I dont' use the same substances that he did, but mine taste better, and are much more satisfying.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #57
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
If yu ahven't gnawed on a turkey neck, or shared the oysters with that someone special, then you are cheating yourself. The oysters are the most flavorful, and tender meat on the bird, and possibly the most moist. They are delectable. My SIL tried to shame me into giving him one. We had cooked three small turkeys this year. I had already shared with my two DD's. But he didn't have to try and shame me. Though he had teased me about being an old man, I had one reserved for him already, along with my other SIL. The one who teased me just got his last. I made him wonder if he was going to get one.

The neck is mine. Most of the meat is pulled from it, after it has served its purpose in making turkey broth. The meat still on the neck is mine. I did most of the work making the turkey, and so use this and the giblets as my reward. The neck meat has a sweet turkey flavor that isn't found anywhere else on the bird. It's stringy, but delicious. And I do it in the kitchen, away from everyone else's eyes. It's great to know what parts of the turkey are best for what. And I am experienced. To quote Mr. Jimmy Hendricks, "Have you ever been experienced? Well I have." Maybe I dont' use the same substances that he did, but mine taste better, and are much more satisfying.

I always reserve the oysters for myself - learned that from my grandmother. Doesn't matter if it's turkey, goose, or chicken, I get the oysters. Fortunately, my wife doesn't understand that obsession, so I don't have to fight anyone for them. She prefers the plain old boring white breast, so I get all of the good thigh and back meat.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #58
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Another idea re leftovers... I watched the local News prior to Thanksgiving, & a chef added beaten eggs etc. to leftover stuffing to make stuffing dumplings for turkey soup.
That's what I said lol
Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:

My favorite is the turkey leg, followed by the oysters, and then the wings. I love how the meat on the legs crisps up a bit and have bought and roasted just turkey drumsticks. So tasty.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

The last of our leftover turkey went in the garbage today, just plain sick of it. When I put it in that frozen graveyard (chest freezer) in the garage it is'nt identifiable after awhile.

Tags
other, turkey