What to do with leftover roasted chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chicken salad
Chicken Tacos
Chicken & Rice
Chicken Burritos
Chicken Soup/Stew
Chicken & Dumplings
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Chicken Noodle Casserole

Last edited:
I made chicken pot pie with my leftovers on Saturday and topped it with some biscuits.

Chicken Salad or sandwiches are my favorite use of leftovers.

Mom used to make a cherry sauce with a can of bing cherries, drained and some chili sauce and reheat the pieces of roast chicken in it. No one ever knew they were getting leftovers. :)

Heat in some bbq sauce, spread on fresh bread and you have a wonderful hot chicken sandwich!

Actually the uses of roast chicken are endless!

Remove all the spare meat
Use the bones with some celery, onion, carrot, salt, pepper to make stock

Use to meat and/or stock to make together with some additions:
soup
curry
pie
casserole
pasties

the possibilities are endless!

Here is one of my favourite recipes for leftover roast chook.

Remove any skin from the meat and chop flesh into bit sized pcs.
*3 **nectarines deseeded and cut into bite size
1cup of spring onions chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, pecans or unsalted cashews roughly chopped.
Mix all of above in a salad bowl
Add your favourite mayo and toss gently - the amount of mayo depends on your preference....I douse mine liberally.
The mix of flavours work very well.
*Number of fruits depends on how much chicken you're using
**Fresh peaches work well also, but should be peeled.

I roasted a small chicken last night and will probably make a quesadilla with the remains.

Previously roasted chicken tastes lovely when turned into India food served with basmati

Pennsylvanie Dutch Pot Pie

Chicken pot pie is a great meal for leftover chicken. My husband grew up in Harrisburg, PA and loves Slippery Pot Pie (aka PA Dutch or Bott Boi). This dish has fresh egg noodles instead of crust - so yummy. I grew up with the flaky crust version but now love Pennsylvania Dutch pot pie. Here is a recipe for anybody interested:

Last edited by a moderator:
What NOT to do with it. As a household of two, roasting a chicken (or buying one at the grocery store) .... well, the point IS the leftovers. If all else fails (i.e., we get unexpected invitations to eat out or something), I pile the entire carcase, an onion, carrot, celery, thyme, sage into a pot, cover it with water, simmer, drain, freeze for soup use later.

Back
Top Bottom