"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps
Old 05-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #11
Executive Chef
How 'bout some ham on little bitty cheese biscuits? Or Thin sliced Roast Beast on rosemary biscuits? Both super easy 'cause you can buy the meat at the deli!

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:17 PM   #12
Head Chef
If you go the tea sandwich route would suggest you start with several different breads and a number of toppings.

Then have an enormous mis en place: the bread all cut, the veggies sliced, including the olives, the cream cheese ready to go and at room temp, meats, cheeses and and other items prepared.

Mish has given some wonderful web sites for ideas.

Oh yes, and butter, or margarine, a fat on the bread keeps the juices from tomatoes and such from making the bread soggy, at least for a while. Also have it room temp.

Then just start constructing the sandwiches.

Mix and match ingredients.

Make it so that the guests will not know exactly what they are getting until they bite into it.

Cream cheese with pimento, or slices of olives, maybe a cuke slice and a bit of shrimp salad, or pumpernickel with ham, or cheese, or both and some mustard.

Used to do this sort of thing as a kid and not only did people like it but it was a lot of fun.

Just a thought.

auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:32 PM   #13
Sous Chef
WOW thanks for all the ideas. I will have to give it some more thought about which to make now. You have all given me great ideas. My mother is making pineapple & cream cheese sandwiches, sis the chicken salad and I will figure out something to go along with these. We have many many other types of appys, but wanted some finger sandwiches to go along with all the other finger food. So far we are having meatballs, sausage balls, antipasto squares, jalepino poppers, thumb print ham & cheese thingies, veggie tray, cheese tray, mini corn dogs, pigs in blankets, crab purses, buffalo wing dip, stuffed black olives (haven't totally decided about what to stuff them with yet but was thinking of chives, cream cheese and maybe a little ranch dressing?), bacon wrapped sausages, cold veggie pizza, and at least half a dozen other things. Between my sister and I we will be busy little bees for the next few weeks.
IcyMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:22 PM   #14
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne
"Salad" type sandwiches:
Buffalo Chicken
I'm all about the food!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:00 AM   #15
Master Chef
Something my mom does is make "pinwheel" sandwiches.

She removes the crusts from a loaf of white bread & rolls each slice lightly with a rolling pin to flatten/condense it a little. She then spreads each slice with a filling: cream cheese & olives, pimiento cheese, soft Brauschweiger liverwurst spread, etc. Each slice is then carefull rolled up & wrapped in wax paper or plastic wrap & chilled overnight in the refrigerator. Next day, with a sharp knife, she removes the paper & slices the rolls & they look like little pinwheels.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:44 AM   #16
Master Chef
Wow! You're going to have quite a feed, Icy. The only thing I see that you're missing is fruit. Perhaps you could put together a nice tray with fresh pineapple (the new "golden" cultivar is extra sweet), grapes, sliced apples (dip in citric acid to prevent browning), and whatever else looks sweet and juicy. Serve with a cream cheese based fruit dip, and place next to your cheese tray.
You could also carve out a melon basket and fill it with assorted melon balls and a good shot of your favorite fruit brandy.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #17
Executive Chef
The roll-ups can be made without the bread, wrapping a piece of proscuitto (or ham - spread with cream cheese mixture) around the spears and securing with party picks. Or mix some horseradish into the cream cheese, or omit the bacon, if you prefer. They look appealing wrapped in puff pastry in place of bread as well.

Asparagus Roll-Ups

16 fresh asparagus spears
16 slices sandwich bread, crusts removed
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
2 tablespoons minced chives
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
grated Parmesan cheese

Place asparagus in a skillet with a small amount of water; cook until crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Flatten bread with a rolling pin. Combine the cream cheese, bacon and chives; spread 1 tablespoonful on each slice of bread. Top with an asparagus spear. Roll up tightly; place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Brush with butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cut roll-ups in half. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Yield: 32 appetizers

Here's an idea of what they look like. I would put them on a prettier tray - silver or glass, garnish the platter with dill or parsley, and make a more attractive arrangement.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:20 AM   #18
Master Chef
I love the deli roast beef idea. But you said you wanted things inexpensive. To make my idea work, you have to have a rotary slicer that can shave the meat from a roast.

Purchase either and inside round or sirloin tri-tip roast. Figure about a quarter pound per person (for 100 that's a toatal of 25 pounds of meat). Fire up a charcoal, kettle grill. Dived the coals into two piles on either side, leaving a 6 inch space between them. Light 'em up. season the roast with salt, pepper, and garlic. Place a throw-away aluminum laof pan, filled half way with water, between the charcoal piles. Add chunks of apple or maple to the fire. Place the cooking grid over the coals.

Put the roast over the drip pan. Cover the barbecue grill and close all vents half way. Roast without touching for about ten minutes per pound. Test how done it is by placing an instant read thermometer into the roast center. When it reads 135 degrees F. Remove the roast, place in a plastic bag and throw in the fridge. Let sit overnight.

Take the roast out in time to shave it into sandwich sized pieces. Use the roast beef to make the sandwiches.

This isn't as easy as bying deli meat, but it's a whole bunch cheaper, and in my opinion, it tastes much better. I did just this trick at my oldest daughter's wedding last year. It was a real hit.

Another great, and even cheaper way to do this is to barbecue a turkey, using the same method described for the roast beef. But don't take the turkey out until the thickest part of the breast reads 155 degrees. No need to baste, though brining would add flavor. Just carve the meat into thin slices by removing the breast muscles as one big piec, then slicing very thinly accross the grain. Of course you can shred the dark meat and use it as well, either for turkey salad sandwiches, or as is.

And you can do the same thing with good pork roast, or a fresh ham.

For something a little different, tnederize and grill some chuck or round steak. Dice and place in a pressure cooker with diced onion and diced green peppers, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper, and a bit of your favorite hot sauce. Cook for a half hour and serve with diced tomato, guacamole, shredded romaine lettuce, and sour cream, all to be used with flour tortillas. They are carne-asada buritoes, but with tender carne asada meat because of the pressure cooking. Also have plenty of shredded medium cheddar cheese with this, and some good salsa. Oh, and don't tell people that you're serving burritoes. Tell them that you're giving them wraps. It seems that the term is "in style" right now. And if you purchase small flour tortillas, it makes the fillings go a long way.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote