"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 07-18-2006, 02:57 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Post Your Favorite Ways to Make Grilled Cheese Sandwhiches

My favorite way is to use Sourdough bread. I like to grate a block of fine cheddar cheese (yes, I'm simple) onto the bread slices. I then sprinkle a little bit of kosher or sea salt on the cheese with some fresh cracked pepper. I load both pieces of bread up with the grated cheese then smash it compact with the bread. Then I heat up a skillet (regular or nonstick, doesn't really matter) over medium heat. After about 3 minutes I take a stick of butter and rub the pan with it. The same way you would with a thick marker on cardboard or something. A lot of people like to spread the butter on the bread but you have to wait forever for the butter to soften. So I just "Paint" the bottom of the hot pan with the stick of butter. I do it enough just until the bottom is coated and bubbling and sizzling. It melts instantly. So your not actually cutting off a chunk of butter, your just rubbing the pan with the stick to get the right amount in there.

So then I get ready to fry it, or "grill" as the name implies. Weird huh? It's actually never grilled. It's really fried. But anyway, I don't put the sandwich together. Instead I put both pieces of bread down side by side in the pan. After about 4 minutes the bread is perfectly brown and you can see the cheese melting. Think of cheese toast.

Anyway, after that i remove them and place them together and press them down firm. I let it sit for about a minute or two. That way the leftover heat combines and finishes melting the cheese together. I then slice it halve and enjoy.

Sometimes I will add bacon or some fresh tomato slices, but I try to just keep it simple. Love it.

Now post yours.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:09 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I generally make it as Welsh rarebit. Here's my recipe on a thread from a while back.

Welsh Rarebit

Old 07-18-2006, 03:44 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I generally make it as Welsh rarebit. Here's my recipe on a thread from a while back.

Welsh Rarebit
Always heard of this method, but never used it. I will have to give it a try. Usually when it comes to things like grilled cheese sandwiches I try to make them fast with least ingredients possible. That usually means I am starving and need a quick snack, lol.

I used to spread mustard on the bread for my grilled cheeses but I think I like them better plain. However I do love pimento cheese and I make that from scratch and have yet to make a grilled pimento cheese sandwich. Why? I don't know, but I need to go ahead and do that. I love pimento cheese. That should make a perfect grilled cheese huh?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I'm afraid I don't know what pimento cheese IS! Sounds like it might be a cream cheese with pimentoes incorporated into the cheese?

Once you've eaten Welsh rarebit, you'll never go back to ordinary cheese on toast
Old 07-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I love to go see concerts and the ones I see usually have people tailgating and selling food and drink. The most popular thing that is sold is grilled cheese made on a Coleman grill. White bread buttered with a piece of plastic fake cheese and sprinkled with garlic powder. Yes this is enough to make any foodie cringe, but man do they hit the spot when you are outside in a parking lot waiting for a show to start. The best one I ever had in a parking lot though was made with all organic food. There was fresh garlic, basil, tomato and it was amazing.

When I make then at home though I do them a number of different ways. I really enjoy using Scalia bread with good white American cheese and I of course sprinkle garlic power on. I use butter and I put it in the pan, not on the bread.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
Head Chef

That really sounds great jason and I'm making them this weekend.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
Head Chef

I used to just use swiss cheese, then when I got married my wife introduced me to the miracle whip version. Just thinly spread some MW on the bread first. It's good! I will have to try the garlic powder and mustard versions.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I'm afraid I don't know what pimento cheese IS! Sounds like it might be a cream cheese with pimentoes incorporated into the cheese?

Once you've eaten Welsh rarebit, you'll never go back to ordinary cheese on toast
Pimento cheese is mayonaise based. It has cheese and roasted red peppers in it. Here's how I make mine:

3/4 cup of mayo
half a pound of cheese, shredded, cheddar
about a tablespoon or two of grated onion, you want the onion to be really fine.
pinch of cayene pepper
1 roasted red bell pepper, diced

Just mix everything in a bowl.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
Master Chef

I use Velveeta Lite and whatever bread I have on hand...usually whole wheat. I either spread the outer side of the bread with soft-spread low-fat margarine, or butter flavored cooking spray and toast in a non-stick skillet.
My husband makes them the same way, except he uses real butter.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
plain white bread
a light coating of M. whip on both pieces
swiss cheese, sliced onion, sliced mushrooms, and sometimes some thinly sliced turkey...
butter outside of both pieces of bread and stick under the broiler until the cheese is melted and the bread is light brown.

Serve with tomato soup