"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 08-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
Senior Cook

What get's me is the so called Italian bread, it just regular white bread, with the name Italian bread name on it, it sure not the Italian bread I make.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Penalties for selling adulterated bread, just a thought!

Bread Laws | Better Off Bread
I like it!

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Well here's someone who does buy commercial bread but not the traditional sandwich loaf. We like the "sandwich rounds" in multi grain for sandwiches because there is less bread and seemingly more of what's inside.

Normally, we will make sandwiches out of our home-baked whole wheat (recipe elsewhere on this forum)

I remember as a kid rolling up slices of that Wonder Bread into tight dough balls that would bounce off of walls. Fun to play with but no redeeming food value at all.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
Head Chef

Bimbo Breads, really?????
Old 08-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
I remember as a kid rolling up slices of that Wonder Bread into tight dough balls that would bounce off of walls. Fun to play with but no redeeming food value at all.
As a kid, we ate mostly Wonder whole wheat. We got our neighbour to steal slices of the white Wonder Bread from her house so we could roll up the slices. If you took the crust off first, the little dough balls were only about 1/4 inch in diameter.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
I hear ya!

I still haven't recovered from Hellman's Real Mayonnaise changing its recipe back in 2006.

It's no fun being enhanced!

I wish they would leave things alone and just raise the prices or come up with a new product instead of slowly destroying a product that we have come to know and enjoy.
I never knew they changed the recipe for Hellman"s?
Old 08-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Penalties for selling adulterated bread, just a thought!

Bread Laws | Better Off Bread
Well ya! No wonder. During roman times, bread WAS the staple for roman soldiers. It's a fact that each soldier ate 6 lbs. of bread a day ! There were probably harsh penalties for messing with it way back then too. Like death!

Also, years ago, sandwich bread had somewhat a more course texture which I liked and how it should be. Today's sandwich bread is super mushy spongy. Now, because of giant bakery corporations like Bimbo who've swallowed up every brand name bread we're used to, there ain't a damn thing we can do about it.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #18
Master Chef

I did a bit fo research. Bimbo owns some brands that I would never have thought they own, brands I purchase, such as Brownberry, and other w/w and multi-grain breads. And since Bimbo (pronounced beembo) is a Mexican Corporation, when I now eat bread, I'm eating Mexican food.

We humans will wipe out our own species in the quest for the almighty dollar. Quality, it no longer matters. Decrease quality, increase profits, and use advertisers to convince the masses that they are getting a better deal. And it seems to be getting worse, faster and faster. I'll continue cooking from scratch, whenever possible, thank you.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I buy something called Shokupan (Japanese style sandwich bread.) It's widely available here. It's basically a Pullman loaf style, looks like a cube with barely any crust on it. It has a milky, soft texture and it has a nice taste and texture to it. When I'm in the mood for fluffy, soft bread this is my go to.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Been buying Martin's potato bread and rolls for years. Haven't noticed any shrinkage.

Tags
bread, sandwich