"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 11-03-2004, 09:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Wrap it up!

Hey everyone. I have been getting into wraps lately and I was just wondering what is a good wrap spread to hold the wrap together and put some good healthly low fat colories in to the wrap at the same time?

Old 11-03-2004, 10:00 PM   #2
Master Chef

I use a flavored lowfat cream cheese like garden vegetable, or garlic and chives. I also have used pesto. Depending on your other fillings a black bean spread is good also. Here is my black bean dip that works good as a spread.

Mexican Black Bean Dip

1-15.5 oz. can black beans
1/3 cup salsa
¼ cup cilantro leaves
4 teaspoons lemon or lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, diced (optional)

Drain and rinse black beans. Combine beans, cilantro, lemon juice, garlic and jalapeno in food processor. Blend until smooth. Garnish with leaflets of cilantro. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:17 AM   #3
Master Chef

yogurt cheese:
dump an 8-oz. carton of Dannon plain yogurt into a very finely-meshed strainer. put the strainer of yogurt over a 16-oz. empty sour cream container for a day or 2 in the fridge. discard the resulting whey.
season the yogurt cheese w/ garlic, scallions, pepper, worcestershire, bleu cheese if you want to sharpen the flavor, capers, minced green olives, ham... anything that seems as if it will compliment the other ingredients.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:23 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I love hummus in my wraps.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:38 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

wow this are amazing ideas. I so glad I joined this board that I am cry
Old 11-05-2004, 10:22 AM   #6
Head Chef

I love yogurt as well and here are two more ideas for low fat spreads:

Plain low fat yogurt about a cup. Add to it grated carrots, grated cucumbers (squeeze the water out). Lots of black pepper and salt to taste. Add any fresh herbs of your choice and use as a spread.

Cottage Cheese - You can use low fat and blend it using a handblender until smooth. Add extremely finely chopped red and green bell peppers to it for color and flavor. I also add roasted garlic to it and fresh herbs along with salt and black pepper.

Another Yogurt spread: Blend fresh herbs (2 cups) of your choice (Basil, cilantro, parsley and mint all work well or even a mixture of two will do) along with a cup of plain yogurt. 3 cloves of garlic, salt, jalapeno pepper and lime juice. Let it chill in the refrigerator and then use as a spread.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:49 AM   #7
Master Chef

Thisisn't a low fat, but is a healthy fat. Guacamole.

The way I was taught to make it is simple, and very tasty.

Ingredients:
1 ripe Haas Avacado
2 dashes Tobascoe Sauce (or to taste)
1 tbs. minced fresh onion
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup finely diced tomato

Mash it all together with an immersion blender or fork. Use with wraps, burritoes, or anything else tortilla.

I could really go for a great carne asada burrito with guacamole right now.

I'm going to have to purchase some suitable beef, cilantro, lime and such to make some. Can't get them anywhere in the Sault except at my house. I'm not in Southern California anymore.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:05 AM   #8

I have used olive oil (good fat) and sauteed some vegies with some chicken. I spread the pita with some salsa and add the stir-fry mixture. It's great..... and why not dollop some low-fat/nonfat sour cream on top.. or dunk it in!
Old 11-07-2004, 11:57 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Great ideas!!!!!!
Yeah!!! Goodweed posted on my thread!!!! I so Happy.
Weed, I Love your Pancakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #10
Hospitality Queen

(bettebet, I moved your question about yogurt cheese and mayo to it's own thread, which is located in the "eggs, cheese and dairy" forum)
:)