Wax Paper as a Food Wrap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinJames

Assistant Cook
Is it safe to use wax paper to wrap sandwiches and snacks for my children's school lunches?
Are there any potential health risks?

What are some alternatives to wax paper?

Waxed paper has been used for decades with no ill effects reported (unless the child forgets to unwrap the sandwich or snack and chokes on the paper).
Alternatives? How about having the child eat the school cafeteria lunch? Oh, it usually comes on a plastic tray.

You could also use parchment baking paper.

If you do a quick search online you will find reusable beeswax coated sandwich wraps.

You could also buy or make fabric and vinyl reusable sandwich wraps or reusable sandwich boxes that contain some plastic but can be reused for years.

1695751610802.jpeg

1695751725960.jpeg

I’m cheap and lazy so I would probably repurpose and reuse a disposable container or plastic bag. It’s not garbage until I throw it away 🤭😉

1695752009163.jpeg

Good luck!

Although honey is one of those things I must be careful with (that old throw me on the floor and kill me thing) I do indulge in honeycomb honey. I love chewing on the wax. Which reminds me - must go to farmers market this Saturday and hope the bee/honey lady is still there. I like her hard soaps too.

I have seen reusable silicone bags that substitute for plastic bags. But, they are a bit pricey and kids lose things.

Although honey is one of those things I must be careful with (that old throw me on the floor and kill me thing) I do indulge in honeycomb honey. I love chewing on the wax. Which reminds me - must go to farmers market this Saturday and hope the bee/honey lady is still there. I like her hard soaps too.
@dragnlaw we've been discussing maybe having the bees make us some comb w/honey in one of our supers on top of one hive. People seem to love it.

Original poster, son, you don't look much older than a child, and please take that as a compliment I hope you get throughout your life. If I was to do the whole raising kids thing again, I think I would try to do the fabric with wax melted into it, for wrapping sandwiches. If they get food on them, just give them a cool water rinse and sponge, and let them dry.

Can't believe there would ever be any issues with wax paper. But I have seen and accidently bought, some sandwich size paper bags. Got them at the $ Store. Have not used them yet.

But now that I think of it, maybe will use them for some of the grandkids lunches. Will come in handy for the times they go to their mom's after school instead of back here. (Somehow the containers never seem to make it back.) :whistling

@dragnlaw gives an example of kids not bringing home the containers. In my opinion, that makes wax paper a prime material for wrapping kids' sandwiches. It's not plastic. It may or may not be as biodegradable as parchment paper, but it will eventually biodegrade. My experience is that waxed paper keeps sandwiches fresher than parchment paper does and it's usually cheaper.

I dunno, maybe your kids are good at bringing home the bags or containers that their sandwiches were put into.

You could also use parchment baking paper.

If you do a quick search online you will find reusable beeswax coated sandwich wraps.

You could also buy or make fabric and vinyl reusable sandwich wraps or reusable sandwich boxes that contain some plastic but can be reused for years.

View attachment 66217
View attachment 66218
I’m cheap and lazy so I would probably repurpose and reuse a disposable container or plastic bag. It’s not garbage until I throw it away 🤭😉

View attachment 66219
Good luck!
Thank you all of you!
but use of plastics are good?

Thank you all of you!
but use of plastics are good?
I agree that we should find an alternative to plastic.

If a plastic container is already available I believe that we should continue to use and reuse it rather than discard it and use additional resources on the manufacture and distribution of an alternative material like wax paper. Don’t let perfect be the enemy of the good.

Maybe we could also examine our eating habits and gradually change our packed lunch choices to things that don’t require additional temporary packaging.

Learn to think outside of the lunchbox, an apple and a hard boiled egg might be better choices than a portable sandwich. 🤔

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” - Theodore Roosevelt

I agree that we should find an alternative to plastic.

If a plastic container is already available I believe that we should continue to use and reuse it rather than discard it and use additional resources on the manufacture and distribution of an alternative material like wax paper. Don’t let perfect be the enemy of the good.

Maybe we could also examine our eating habits and gradually change our packed lunch choices to things that don’t require additional temporary packaging.

Learn to think outside of the lunchbox, an apple and a hard boiled egg might be better choices than a portable sandwich. 🤔

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” - Theodore Roosevelt
Bread, cheese and cured meats will stay good for hours, if not days. PB&J will also.

I heard about that stuff. After you've eaten it, when you have a bowel movement, it comes out in a little plastic bag. Now you can REALLY enjoy the go!

Also off topic, but I also love the beeswax comb!
I might try to source some really fresh honeycomb with its natural honey in there and try some basil ice cream and some kind of whipped cream… hmmm …🤔

You can buy wax paper sandwich/snack bags as well. Amazon has them in bulk. 200 bags for $14.99. They're easier than zipper bags to get sandwiches into. You can also buy paper sandwich bags.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom