Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueheron

Assistant Cook
I got this book for Christmas and made the bread today after refrigerating the dough overnight. It was extremely sticky and flattened out when I shaped it. It rose a bit in the oven and when it was done, it looked like a Hershey kiss.:huh: I just hope it tastes good.

The batch of dough is supposed to make 4 one-pound loaves. Can I add more flour to the rest of the dough to make it easier to handle and less sticky when I make the rest of the loaves?

The New York Times dough is like that, too. But, it has great texture, crispy and hard on the outside and perfectly soft and light on the inside. It's sloppy, and just kind of blobs into the dutch oven.

Check the bread section here. This will probably get moved there anyways.

Your dough is doing what it should be doing. Do not add any more flour to the recipe. It takes practice working with wet dough. Keep your hands floured and work fast! :) It does taste fantastic.
Just in case you don't know it yet. This link has the corrections for the book.

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day » Errors

Munky.

I tasted the bread.

It tasted pretty good, but I thought it would be better. Plus it was too salty. I was afraid of that when I saw the amount of salt - 1 1/2 tablespoons. Is all that salt necessary?:huh:

I asked the authors on their forum if I could add more flour and Jeff said I could but to leave it out for 2 hours before refrigerating it again.

I checked the errors and most of them had been corrected in my edition.
I would like to get their newest book. I like whole grain breads better than white.

Wow, that's IS a lot of salt! I only use a teaspoon at the most for one loaf. Salt can inhibit yeast action.

Yes, it is for a 4-loaf batch, but it's still way too much salt. I will halve the salt the next time I make it. I am going to make the peasant loaves next.

I have trouble with the knife sticking to the dough when I slash the top before baking. I floured the boule and used water on the baguette (per the book) and it still stuck.

...I have trouble with the knife sticking to the dough when I slash the top before baking. I floured the boule and used water on the baguette (per the book) and it still stuck.

In the time it takes to say the word, "zip" I slash my bread knife (the long serrated one) across the top of my loaf. I use no pressure, just the weight of the blade as I quickly drag it for 5 or 6" and then lift. I do that three times for each loaf. The whole thing takes three seconds and is the last thing I do before putting the loaf into the oven.

jet, the book suggested brushing water across the top of the baguette instead of flour to keep the knife from sticking because traditionally French baguettes did not have floured tops.:chef:

selkie, I do use a serrated knife and when I lightly slash the loaf, the cracks close up again, so I press harder and the knife sticks! Sigh...:ermm:

Any slice is enough. It will expand while baking.

I leave my top dry, and place a pan of water on the lower rack and spray water on the walls of the oven to create steam - which makes the crust. Keep at it and your patience will pay off! :chef:

Yes, I also put a pan of hot water in the oven to make the crust nice and brown. That works well. I will keep trying with this recipe!

Back
Top Bottom