Beginner Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbreit

Cook
I originally posted this in the wrong forum. I'm hoping the old post can be deleted.
----------
I tried making Sourdough in college (most people try drugs, I try sourdough) and it never really turned out well. 4 years out and I am thinking I want to get into bread baking again. I'd like to approach it again but this time starting with an easier white bread, moving into sourdough, then moving onto other types of bread. Can someone suggest a good blog/website/book/recipe for starting on baking bread?

Thanks.

My suggestion would be, as you said, become familiar with baking regular white bread first, then after making half a dozen loaves or so and you feel comfortable with your abilities, try a loaf of sourdough. Above all, have fun! Even if a loaf doesn't turn out, it's not a financial disaster... just a learning experience.

bread101_intro

Sourdough Home - All About Sour

Good Luck!

And the majority of loaves that perhaps "don't turn out" perfectly, can still make wonderful homemade bread crumbs to use in other things!

if ya give yourself the boost & the go-ahead, you'll be great! delve into bread-making!

My suggestion would be, as you said, become familiar with baking regular white bread first, then after making half a dozen loaves or so and you feel comfortable with your abilities, try a loaf of sourdough. Above all, have fun! Even if a loaf doesn't turn out, it's not a financial disaster... just a learning experience.

bread101_intro

Sourdough Home - All About Sour

Good Luck!
Looks like good web sites but the bread101 site is ugly :)

I'm hoping to give this recipe a try in the next week or two. Work gets in the way of such pursuits.

Thanks everyone!

Are you using/do you have a KitchenAid mixer? Because I've been using the recipes in the booklet that came with mine (about 16 years ago) & they make fabulous bread! And I was a bread-making first-timer when I first tried them.

The French Bread (baguettes) & the Cinnamon-Raisen Bread are real crowd pleasers around here.

I do not have a KitchenAid mixer. It is something I wouldn't mind. However, I don't have the space for one at this time so I am doing anything requiring a mixer by hand. When I get more space in another house, I'll probably have one.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Looks like good web sites but the bread101 site is ugly :)...

Yeah, I agree!!!! It has solid information but it's as ugly as sin!!! :LOL:

Unfortunately, my two favorite sites for baking info are pay sites. That's why I didn't mention them.

If I get some time I may offer to help them redesign their bread 101 site.

I do not have a KitchenAid mixer. It is something I wouldn't mind. However, I don't have the space for one at this time so I am doing anything requiring a mixer by hand. When I get more space in another house, I'll probably have one.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I didn't have space for one either, then I bought one and made space. Ifn' you can swing one price wise get the mixer. Seriously. :chef:

I didn't have space for one either, then I bought one and made space. Ifn' you can swing one price wise get the mixer. Seriously. :chef:

By the way Frank, how is Lucille??? Haven't heard much about her, is she treatin ya right??? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I have a post on for easy white bread that can also be turned into whole wheat :) It was delicious, even for the first time I made it! Please try it out and give me some feedback =)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I had heard once that sourdough bread is harder to make in some areas of the country. Altitude, maybe. Is that true?

I originally posted this in the wrong forum. I'm hoping the old post can be deleted.
----------
I tried making Sourdough in college (most people try drugs, I try sourdough) and it never really turned out well. 4 years out and I am thinking I want to get into bread baking again. I'd like to approach it again but this time starting with an easier white bread, moving into sourdough, then moving onto other types of bread. Can someone suggest a good blog/website/book/recipe for starting on baking bread?

Thanks.
NYTimes Jim Lahey has revolutionized baking industry-beginner? on his method there is no beginner or pro-that easy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

Back
Top Bottom