Bread Machine Rye Bread First and Second Try

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
Rye Bread First and Second Try

Rye Bread First Try
Rye Bread The Second Try

I decided to have some more fun with the bread maker. I figured I would try doing some rye bread. The first try I used the recipe for rye bread that came with by bread machine. I was not so happy with it. It only had about an ounce and a half of rye flour to about 17 1/2 ounce of bread flour. I found it tasted to much like white bread and the texture was a bit dense. For the second try I increased the amount of rye flour to about 9 oz to about 10 oz of bread four. It seems much lighted and has more complexity. The only small issue I had with the second try is I cracked the cre\ust when pulling it out of the pan, but it is just cosmetic.
Recipe:
10 oz bread flour
9 oz dark rye flour
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp margarine
3 Tbsp sugar
12.5 oz of water
1.5 tsp dry yeast
Throw it all in the bread machine and let it do its magic.​

where do you buy "dark rye" flour? The one sold here is bleached and looks practically white.What brand is it, maybe I could search by brand in my area?

Bob's Red Mill makes a dark rye flour, which I've used. Several grocery stores in my area carry it. You also can order it directly from Bob's, but their shipping charges are rather high.

where do you buy "dark rye" flour? The one sold here is bleached and looks practically white.What brand is it, maybe I could search by brand in my area?
I used the bob's red mill it is all over Chicago, I would guess you will likely find it in the health food section of most major groccery stores in Minnesota. CRC says it is OK to use.

Back
Top Bottom