I Thought I'd Bake Some Bread Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charlie, it's a copyrighted recipe so I can't post it.

However, if you click on the link in my post #14 above, you can preview the book on Amazon. Go to page 10 for the recipe.

If that page is not shown, click the link again and it should be included. Different pages are blocked each time so you can't just read it through.

Beautiful crumb. Nice job. Son #1 asked me to make up a batch of pizza dough for him. You have given me the push I need. Thanks. :yum::yum:

Charlie, it's a copyrighted recipe so I can't post it.

However, if you click on the link in my post #14 above, you can preview the book on Amazon. Go to page 10 for the recipe.

If that page is not shown, click the link again and it should be included. Different pages are blocked each time so you can't just read it through.
I wanted to save it as a pdf, but I guess you can't. I'll have to fire up my box computer and try to grab it as a screen cap. I don't have that software on this laptop.

Thank you Andy, I tried to print the screen but it would not do it. Oh, well, might have to buy the book.

Just get it at your local public library. I mentioned I had reserved it earlier in this topic and my copy is already waiting at my local branch for pick up.

I like the library advice concerning working a few recipes before buying. I have found Nancy silvertons Berea bakery to be a great book. I'll be purchasing Ratio soon thanks

Most bread recipes I have seen make 2 loaves. Which is good because in my house we go through half a loaf right when it comes out of the oven! Butter on hot bread is the best thing since, uh...sliced bread?

Looks great, I'm going to check and see if my library has that book, (it's a county wide system, so they should).

I have the book now, although I haven't had time to peruse it.

The recipe looks pretty simple to me:
Ingredients:

20 oz. bread flour (about 4 cups)
12 oz. water
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon active or instant yeast
Of course I cannot quote the method due to copyright concerns. The method looked pretty straight forward to me. It seems to me that you could probably Google baguette recipes and follow practically any method.

In my opinion this recipe just shows us that basic recipes with wholesome ingredients produce good results.

I've been reading the sample from Amazon, it is quit an interesting book. I think I am going ot get it.

This is a great book. Not only for the recipes but to help you understand the concept of ratios.

There is one 'lean dough' recipe used for baguette, boulé and ciabatta. The only real difference is the shape and some olive oil for the ciabatta. It's just about the first thing in the book.

Here, Amazon.com: Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking (9781416571728): Michael Ruhlman: Books go to this link and click to see inside the book. Go to page 10. The recipe starts at the top of the page with 20 ounces of bread flour...
Okay--the dough is rising. I've never made dough in my stand-mixer. I also have never made bread dough without any sugar. We'll see if I get as pretty of bread as Andy made!

It is not as pretty as Andy's. I cheated, I used 8 oz whole wheat flour, 12 oz all purpose. I also make one small baguette and 7 sort-a Kaiser rolls...they didn't hold their shape this time. I ate one of them already, and it was very, very good. The crust was crisp, the inside soft, just the way I like it. I reduced the baking time accordingly to accommodate the smaller baguette and the Kaiser rolls.

Attachments

• CWS_ratio_bread.jpg
    CWS_ratio_bread.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 163
Back
Top Bottom