Instant yeast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thumpershere2

Head Chef
I was told that the best yeast you can use is the yeast from a bakery. So today i went to a bakery and got some yeast. Now you are not to use as much yeast as you would regular yeast you buy in the grocery store. Most bread recipes call for 2 pks. of yeast ( 2 and 1/4 tsp each pk. So does anyone know how much of the Instant yeast I would use then? The yeast I got is fermipan, made in canada. Appriciate any help here.

Same amount. I buy my yeast from the King Arthur Flour folks and buy it in 1-pound packages. I store it in a tightly sealed glass jar in the freezer. I usually use 2 pounds per year for the two of us.

Never heard of not using as much "bakery" yeast as purchased yeast.

I was told the instant yeast is so much better and so you don't use as much but i sure will try it tomorrow and use the same amount as i would the reg. yeast. Also thanks for the info on storing the yeast.

I bought 5 lbs of rye flour and the yeast at the bakery and paid about 8 dollors for both. The yeast is a 15.9 pk. Can't wait to try it.

According to the folks at Baking 911, to substitute Instant yeast for Active Dry yeast:

BY WEIGHT: Use 2/3 (0.67) as much Instant as Active Dry.

BY VOLUME: For 1 teaspoon Active Dry use 3/4 teaspoon Instant.

So ... to replace 2 packages of Active Dry Yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons each) you would use just a smidge over 3 1/3 teaspoons of Instant Yeast. (4.5 teaspoons X 0.75 = 3.375 teaspoons)

I don't know that instant yeast is better - it just doesn't have to be "proofed" before being used - that saves time in a bakery. Bread machine yeast is also instant yeast.

Last edited:
Making rye bread, if the recipe calls for white flour can I use bread flour instead? Some of my recipes call for either white or bread flour.

When we make a 25 lb batch of dough at work (bagels) we use about .7 to 1 oz of instant yeast, depending on type and how much sugar / salt is in them.
HTH. Probably not.
And we don't proof it first. I'd be working 10 hour days if we did!!

I bought the 2 packages of 1 lb yeast from sam's club about 4 yrs ago and it's still good. I store it in the fridge. I have used it recently for the no knead bread and pizza dough and bread machine breads.

Back
Top Bottom