"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 03-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
Master Chef

Anyone hooked on the King's bread should research recipes called "Portuguese sweet bread" which is what it is. There were a lot of Portuguese settlers (fishermen) in Hawaii, "Portagee" in Hawaiian Pidgin.

My MIL made cookies from a dough that had a strong flavor, but it was more a pie dough, not yeast. The distinctive flavor came from the fact that about half the fat in a regular pastry type recipe was replaced with Philadelphia cream cheese. And yes, it was used for lots of things, not just the cookies. I think her family were Slovakian and Russian.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Anyone hooked on the King's bread should research recipes called "Portuguese sweet bread" which is what it is. There were a lot of Portuguese settlers (fishermen) in Hawaii, "Portagee" in Hawaiian Pidgin.

My MIL made cookies from a dough that had a strong flavor, but it was more a pie dough, not yeast. The distinctive flavor came from the fact that about half the fat in a regular pastry type recipe was replaced with Philadelphia cream cheese. And yes, it was used for lots of things, not just the cookies. I think her family were Slovakian and Russian.
Portuguese sweet bread huh? That's pretty interesting; I would have never guessed. I will be researching this soon.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

This is a dish often served on Christmas Eve in Quebec, well, perhaps if the person hosting comes from the Gaspe area:

Cipaille, or Sea Pie
Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Designation of Origin, History, Geography & Linguistics

Great topic ... I am always researching the designation of origin of a wine, or a food product, names and dishes ... historical data fascinates me ... Love the subject of designations, origins, roots, historical details, geography and linguistics ...

As all of you can see, I really am veered toward Mediterranean regional cuisines, Italia, Greece, Galician, Catalan, Basque, Spanish, Portuguese, Lebanese, Sashimi, Maine Lobster, Chicago and NYC meatballs and Chicago Pizza Bianca ... though I also have quite a penchant for Mexican, I just prefer enjoying it in a favorite Mexican Restaurant which opened in 1960 by a dear friend, author, restaurateur and retired chef, Ventura Rocha.

Enjoying this post. Every traditional dish has itsī anecdotes and origin ...

Margi.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
You seem to like to bake..so help me with this one.. Kolache..

My Aunt Tiny will not give up her secret recipe.. I've Begged, but she always sends me out to mow her lawn, says she will show me later, but when I get back, the dough is allready done! this brings huge howls of laughter from my Mother, and other Aunts..

I think the dough is essentially a yeast dough that is fortified with egg yolks ( like Italian Brioche), it has a sweet, strong flavor and has many uses from the pastry.. Kolaches.. to a Pig in a Blanket ... I had all of these as a child..I'm Czech/ German American which is common here ( Central Tx.)..
Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.
I don't understand "secret" recipes. Don't folks realize that it is a compliment to be asked for their recipe? I once made some pumpkin cookies for a family party. One of the aunts asked me for the recipe. I got her email and sent it to her work the next day. She worked in the office with my daughter. They next office party she made them. They were a hit. Everyone was asking for the recipe. "Oh no. It has been in the family for years." My daughter heard her and called me. I immediately sent the recipe to my daughter. She printed it out and passed it around. Aunty was furious. Hasn't talked to my daughtr to this day. No loss there.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
Master Chef

I, too, never got the concept of "secret" recipes. I try to share, but in fact I seldom cook strictly from a recipe, so am much better with, "come over for the afternoon and we'll do it together." I simply forget that I stood there with a pepper grinder for what seemed like eternity, don't remember what the oven temp was, etc. And then there are friends/relatives who wonder why theirs doesn't taste as good as mine. One is insane (to me). I make Italian salad dressing using the cruet you can get for free with the mix. But when I tell people, use balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, they will not pony up for the extra $$. Then they wonder why their doesn't taste like mine. Similar with other things I make. They try to shortcut and wonder why it isn't as good, then kinda get mad at me .... Not seriously mad, but tell me I shortchanged the recipe so there's wouldn't taste as good as mine. I just roll my eyes and move on!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

You are so right Claire. When I make something that is off the top of my head, I don't remember exactly what I did. Like the Alfredo I made with the spinach. I would have to hunt in here for what I did. And if I tried to make it the same way again without looking it up, it would be entirely different. If I can remember it off the top of my head, I will gladly share it with you. I want you to have a happy meal. I want people to look up to you as a great cook. Three years ago I bought a restaurant size jar of nutmeg nuts. I had some empty apothecary jars. Too many nuts for me to use up in a lifetime. So I took one jar and filled it with about six or seven nuts. I gave it to my girlfriend in Atlanta. So now when she has company she searches for recipes where she can pull out a nut and her plane, and evey one is impressed with her culinary skills. A very simple present yet it impresses everyone who knows her. She has already gone through two nuts. And I have more when she needs them.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #18
Executive Chef

How about Kalua Pork? The recipe can vary but the technique is very unique. Cooked in an imu, an underground oven, rubbed with seasoning, stuffed with hot rocks, burried and left until done.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

all of my mil's recipes were secrets. dw never really showed interest in cooking when she was young, but when i asked her mom to show me how to make some of her slovakian or polish specialties, she just avoided the subject or somehow never got around to teaching either of us.

i think she felt that the best thing that she could offer anyone was her food, so it was that which made her special. if we could match it or maybe do some dishes better, then she would have nothing from her heart to offer or make her stand out.

sad really. now that she's gone so are her recipes, and thereby one less way to remember what a wonderful person she really was.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
all of my mil's recipes were secrets. dw never really showed interest in cooking when she was young, but when i asked her mom to show me how to make some of her slovakian or polish specialties, she just avoided the subject or somehow never got around to teaching either of us.

i think she felt that the best thing that she could offer anyone was her food, so it was that which made her special. if we could match it or maybe do some dishes better, then she would have nothing from her heart to offer or make her stand out.

sad really. now that she's gone so are her recipes, and thereby one less way to remember what a wonderful person she really was.
My Czech Grandmother was the same, she just never got around to teaching cooking, but she was more than happy to show me the joys of soap making.