White/Whole Wheat Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshatdot

Senior Cook
I've been trying my hand at home made bread with my K45SS. I've just made some Stone-Buhr Whole Wheat Bread .. the recipe that is on the back of the packaging.

Whole Wheat Bread | Stone Buhr

dsc6768.jpg

Last edited:
That is a beautiful looking loaf. Good, no Great job. Well done. Now get that loaf here pronto! I will eat whole wheat bread. :yum:

It is fabulous to see people making their own bread ... The aromas must be wonderful. Wish I had the time - I would love to try it out ... I do focaccia and cornbread however, never have done a chapata --- an Italian loaf ... would enjoy.

MC. Thanks for the posts and fotos.

Thanks all .. it is sooo tastey! :yum: I wish I made my own bread sooner.

I want to try a french baguette next .. or maybe a sour dough :chef:

When I make sandwich bread I use a 80/20 or 70/30 mix of bread flour to white wheat. Your recipe appears to be a 50/50 mix which I found a tad too much for my tastes.

Good looking loaf though. Did you slash the top before baking? It doesn't look like it which is why I ask.

I didn't slash the top .. do you do that on the last proof in the pan? or just before baking?

I just followed the Stone Buhr recipe for my 1st try :)

What do I add to the mix for the whole grain looking bread?

You slash just before baking. It gives the bread room for that final *poof* it does in the oven (oven spring). Use a really sharp knife or a razor. Wet it and slash down the bread with the blade at an angle. I do two slashes on mine, about a third in from the sides, holding the blade at about 45 degrees and going 1/4ish inch deep.

I also mist the top (right after the slash) with some water to keep it moist while the oven is working to dry it out so it can expand.

It is a good looking loaf for a first attempt (a really good looking loaf). In the picture there is an imperfection on the top, this might just be an air bubble but could also be a bit of a tear, which happens when you don't slash and give it the room to expand.

Your first time slashing will be ugly and frustrating. :) Keep at it and you will get the feel. Do NOT be timid with it. Slash with confidence, if you try to baby it the dough will stick and you will get ridges in your slash.

The bread tastes just as good though, so keep making it and you will get it down.

slash across the top angling out? /-\ or going in? \-/

What about butter top? to keep it moister during baking .. or would that brown/harden it more?

I think the imperfection was the seam when I shaped it for the pan. I hand work/stretch/roll the dough into it's center, and then grip around it to shape it into a log.

Umm..

\ -/ would be how I do it.. If I understand this fancy nomenclature correctly...

I am right handed and my hand is outside the bread pan... if that helps.

I always put the seam down once I roll the loaf.

Back
Top Bottom