Susan's Famous Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
I have noticed that when in comes to banana bread or banana cake, part of the problem is that the bananas are mashed until they are liquified (unless the recipe calls for that). If the bananas are overmashed, it usually takes the cake or bread forever to bake, and the outside gets hard and overly browned while the inside is uncooked. As for the chocolate chips, I add them at the last moment. It is too good. Instead of putting those overripe bananas in the fridge or freezer--I whip up these banana breads and stick them in the freezer for when someone feels like a nosh and there is nothing else in the house.

Susan's Famous Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
(a variation of the old Settlement Cookbook's Banana Cake 1951 edition).
Dairy)
Yield 3 mini loaves or double the recipe and make 3 8" loaves and bake them for 60 to 65 minutes. The recipe takes 15 minutes to whip up without including baking time.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sweet butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 large or extra large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 cup coarsely mashed bananas (about 2 small)
1 cup chocolate chips (6 oz. pkg.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Stir together the sour cream and the baking soda and set aside. (It will start to get all bubbly, that is good.) Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream and baking soda mixture. Stir in the remaining ingredients until the dry ingredients are just blended. Do not overmix. Divide the mixture between 3 greased mini-loaf pans (6" x 3" x 2") and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow loaves to cool for 15 minutes, and then, remove the breads from the pans and continue to cool on a rack.

The trick is not to overmash the bananas. If you liquefy the bananas, it will take too long to bake and will be overdone. I give these out as gifts all the time. One can use milk chocolate chips as well.

Here's a variation that's served me well, my edit of a recipe from the January 2003 edition of Bon Appétit:

BANANA COFFEE CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE CHIP STREUSEL

1+1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips (about 8 ounces)
2/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1+1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg

3 tablespoons buttermilk
1+1/3 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 large bananas, very ripe with black spots on the skin)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Butter and flour 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan.

3. Stir chocolate chips, brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon in small bowl until well blended; set streusel aside.

4. Sift all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl.

5. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, room temperature butter, and egg in large bowl until fluffy.

6. Beat in mashed bananas and buttermilk.

7. Add dry ingredients and blend until just incorporated.

8. Spread half of batter (about 2 cups) in prepared baking pan.

9. Sprinkle with half of streusel.

10. Repeat with remaining batter and streusel.

11. Bake coffee cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.

12. Cool coffee cake in pan on rack.

Makes 12 servings.

Back
Top Bottom