New Starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
So I had dough started yesterday with Ol' Grumpy and when I checked it 6 hours in the dough ball had that familar yogurt smell (good) but had an undertone of rancid yogurt (bad, very very bad).

I forgot to do my storage feed and Ol' Grumpy kinda incubated the wrong stuff. Ugh.

The dough and the rest of the starter is now gone, went into the trash.

I have a new starter in process now. Today I did 25g or water and 25g of rye flour. Tomorrow I will feed it white flour instead of rye, just trying to cultivate beasties today.

Attachments

• Starter.jpg
    Starter.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 235
First 12 hour feeding. Did not do a discard. Will go one tomorrow.

I fed with water and white flour.

Looks almost delicious.. :ermm:

Attachments

• starter01.jpg
    starter01.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 203
I did another 12 hour feeding. The starter is showing some life, putting some pressure on the lid of the container and the consistency was better when I stirred it down for the feeding.

This is the feeding that should start the battle of good versus evil beasties. If the good ones live I should have a viable starter that just needs to build its strength. It is conceivable that I will not feed tonight, depending on activity. It should be able to raise itself before the next feeding.

I did another 12 hour feeding. The starter is showing some life, putting some pressure on the lid of the container and the consistency was better when I stirred it down for the feeding.

This is the feeding that should start the battle of good versus evil beasties. If the good ones live I should have a viable starter that just needs to build its strength. It is conceivable that I will not feed tonight, depending on activity. It should be able to raise itself before the next feeding.

I am very interested in the rye sourdough flavor. I should be able to use a discard on Audrey 2 and begin feeding rye flour instead of white...maybe more depth from the rye with a rye starter than just making a sourdough rye bread straight from Aud2.

I used rye simply as it has the most beasties hanging around. I despise rye bread. :ermm:

By the time this starter is ready it should be a white starter, with almost no rye left, and that will improve as time goes on and I continue to feed just white flour.

I used rye simply as it has the most beasties hanging around. I despise rye bread. :ermm:

By the time this starter is ready it should be a white starter, with almost no rye left, and that will improve as time goes on and I continue to feed just white flour.

<Gasp!> Despise Rye??? <speechless>:ohmy:

It is shocking isn't it. Wanna hear one that's worse? I have a Danish friend who is allergic to rye and doesn't like fish!

Now that is just sacrilegious! :pig: And with that I was reminded to tell Son #1 to pick me up a lof of light rye bread. I forgot to get it yesterday. And I want to make a tomato and bacon sandwich. :yum:

I'll take Frank's share. Oh darn. PF has first dibs on it. Well I will have some if it is light rye, or Swedish Rye as we call it here in New England. And I love marble rye. Our local C store usually doesn't carry it though. So I may have to settle for whole wheat. Bummer! Big Bummer!! Anything but white. :(

Somehow I think you will cope...

I especially despise that rye that has caraway seeds...

It was just a shock at first...until I realized it left more for me, no competition from your quarter. A nice dark pumpernickel, WITH caraway, brown mustard and corned beef...I'd only have to wrestle for the corned beef:pig:

It was just a shock at first...until I realized it left more for me, no competition from your quarter. A nice dark pumpernickel, WITH caraway, brown mustard and corned beef...I'd only have to wrestle for the corned beef:pig:

Stop! Stop! You are making me hungry!!!:ohmy:

He told me that he was not a picky eater when I met him. I've added it to the long list:

I'll call you in the city.
The check's in the mail.
I'm not a picky eater..

The list goes on and on.

I love rye bread AND corn beef. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom