Pizza Dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Hope this is the right place to put this. I really enjoy pizza now and then but now that I'm eating healthier I feel hesitant on eating it....don't get me wrong I will still eat a piece or two now and then.
Anyway, is it possible to make a wheat pizza dough? One that doesn't use enriched wheat flour or any all-purpose white flour? If so, does anyone have a recipe for it?
I'm not sure how it'll taste since I'm so used to the regular type of crust but I'm ready and willing to try.

Thanks Everyone!

is it possible to make a wheat pizza dough?

I`m not quite sure what you mean, do you mean like a Wholemeal base?

if it`s of any help at all, I have ground up home grown wheat and used that in Pizza bases before, but I did cut it 50% with plain flour.

I have had a whole meal base before and yes it Is a bit different, but IMO it`s really rather nice too, the trick is not to compare the 2 in your head.

Hope this is the right place to put this. I really enjoy pizza now and then but now that I'm eating healthier I feel hesitant on eating it....don't get me wrong I will still eat a piece or two now and then.
Anyway, is it possible to make a wheat pizza dough? One that doesn't use enriched wheat flour or any all-purpose white flour? If so, does anyone have a recipe for it?
I'm not sure how it'll taste since I'm so used to the regular type of crust but I'm ready and willing to try.

Thanks Everyone!

Hi, Sizzlin. I think the cheese and traditionally meaty toppings, like pepperoni and sausage, are a bigger problem than the crust :) Using part-skim mozzarella and losing the meat toppings while using lots of fresh veggies (tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, roasted garlic, whatever you like) would go a long way toward making pizza a healthier dish. HTH.

Thanks Everyone!

You can use any good basic bread dough as pizza dough. I regularly use half and half, organic whole wheat flour and organic ap flour. The last few times I've done pizza however, i have used two thirds whole wheat. It definitely is a different flavor than what you're used to if you eat pizzeria pizza with all white flour, but especially with heartier toppings, the whole wheat is very tasty. I really like it with the traditional Provençal topping of caramelized onions, shredded Gruyère cheese, anchovies and olives. Very earthy and wonderful.

Here's my favorite basic pizza dough.

If you use all whole wheat flour, you will have to knead the dough twice as long, at least.

one 11 x 15 inch rectangle
or 2 12-inch pizzas

2 packages active dry yeast
3 1/2 cups unbleached flour use as much whole wheat flour as you like)
1 cup lukewarm water
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Let stand for 10 minutes. In a mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the oil and the yeast mixture. With your hand, stir the flour into the liquid and gather the mixture into a ball. Turn dough out onto a floured board, or proceed to knead it in the bowl. Knead and slap the dough until it is smooth and elastic (like a baby's bottom). While kneading, add a little more flour, if necessary. Dough must be smooth, elastic, and not sticky. Gather dough into a ball and place it in a lightly oiled bowl. Set the bowl in a warm place, cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.

Punch dough down, and knead a little. Shape into a ball, and let rise again (for about 1 hour). At this point, dough is ready to use.

NOTE: After the first rising, dough can be punched down and refrigerated or frozen. If frozen, thaw in refrigerator overnight.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/world-s-easiest-bread-recipe-40666.html

This is the recipe I have been using lately, the first link "Simple Crusty Bread". The recipe calls for 6 1/2 cups AP flour, but I use 5 cups King Arthur Traditional Whole Wheat flour and I cup unbleached (KA) flour. This will make 2 large pizzas and maybe a small loaf of bread. Last time I used it all in 2 pizzas. The dough will keep in the frig up to two weeks if you don't want to use it all at once.

Thank you so much for the recipes. I'm trying to incorportate healthy whole wheats into my diet and trying my best at avoiding white flour. I know that there are times that it'll be impossible as for some things you just need some white with the wheat. Thanks Chef and Beth for the recipes....great help.

Like traditional Chicago Pizza, I have sub'd cornmeal for white flour and used the other part wheat. It is really good.

I generally make my pizza dough in the bread machine on the dough cycle.

Pizza has fewer calories than most foods and because the toppings are so flexible, it's also the most nutritious thing on the market.

Italian seasoned tofu is a tasty ingredient on a veggie style pizza.

I guess not a whole lot to add...you can definitely make a crust with whole grain flour. I make my crusts often with whole grain flour (though you should probably cut in some white flour). In fact, I think the best pizza crusts I have made from scratch were when I included about 25% rye flour and the rest white.

oh yeah, Whole Wheat crusts are Way better than anything you can make in white bread, esp stuffed with cheese and garlic :)
lovely moist bread with a crunch to the outside and the Smell is just outa this world!

I made one once with buckwheat flour and ground flax, white and wheat flour. It turned out really crispy for me, I like that.

before I got onto making my pizza crusts with this no knead recipe, I used my bread machine and used 2 cups whole wheat bread flour, 1 cup white flour and 1 cup semolina flour, I really liked that combo

When I lived in Tucson Az in the early 80's there was a pizza place named Tassions or Tessions that had a honey whole wheat pizza that was next to none. It was the best pizza dough I have ever had.

When I first made the acquaintance of this pizza place it was in a small adobe or brick house almost too small to hold the oven. Eat in was a picnic table out back behind a privacy fence. They sold great pizza and cheap beer, nothing else. And they sold the pizza as fast as they could make it.

The owners then moved to a new facility with real inside seating, a real kitchen and employees and the pizza was never the same.

Every once in a while I try to recreate their dough, if I'm successful I'll let you know.

Don't hold your breath.

Unless you have a specific health issue I wouldn't completely avoid all purpose flour. What I've heard most recently is the unhealthy flours are the bleached and bromated flours, not the unbleached natural flours.

Plus I don't know how well a 100% whole wheat dough would hold together without at least a touch of white thrown in. ?

[edit]

I mean whole wheat all purpose, not whole wheat bread flour.

Last edited:
Hi, I give my version for pizza dough!

Ingredients: 1/2 kg white flour OO, 25 gr baking powder, water, olive oil, salt

Preparation: First of all melt the baking powder or the fresh yalt with a bit of warm water, and when it's completely melt, drop the flour and mix with your hands. Then add the olive oil: take a glass and measure 2 fingers (it's about 3 cm from the bottom). Work the mixture with your hands and at the end when you realise the mixture is soft and not too dry, add a pinch of salt. Let it double its size in a warm place, placing it into a bowl, covered with some plastic.
It's now ready for preparing your pizzas! You can also find it on my web site!

Have a good pizza,
Simona :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom