"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters
View Poll Results: Are these the best you've tried
yes 4 40.00%
No 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2004, 10:13 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Okay here goes: I made Alix's mom's recipe for pancakes this morning and while they were very good I still prefer the texture of Goodweed's. I am a buttermilk freak so Alix's recipe intrigued me. However, Goodweed's wins in MY kitchen. Question for Goodweed: If I make your recipe with buttermilk, how much baking soda will I have to add and will I have to decrease the amount of baking powder?

Old 09-06-2004, 10:24 AM   #32
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Gingerbread Waffles or Pancakes

I developed this recipe the day after my daughter awoke in a screaming nitemare. Hence the name. Resist the urge to smoosh down the cake as it cooks.

Chiffonade's Sweet Dreams Gingerbread Waffles

Yield: About 7 Waffles

This can also be made into pancakes. My waffle iron makes a round waffle approximately 6 1/2-inch diameter. Baking times vary by capacity of your waffle iron and temperature.

1 3/4 cups Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
Large pinch Salt
2 Tblsp. Sugar
3 Tblsp. Brown Sugar
2 1/2 Tblsp. Ground Ginger (Do not substitute fresh)
2 tsp. Cinnamon
Pinch Nutmeg
3 Eggs, separated
1/4 cup Molasses
1/4 cup Melted Butter, slightly cooled
1 1/2 cups Milk

In a medium mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (including sugars) and whisk thoroughly to blend.

Whip the egg whites until stiff but not dry.

In a small bowl, mix the egg yolks, molasses and melted butter. Stir well. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the egg yolk mixture. Mix well. Fold in the egg whites. The batter will look glossy and fluffy.

Bake in waffle iron as per manufacturer’s directions (i.e., a light will go off when they're done, etc.). Alternatively, griddle on a hot greased pan for pancakes.

Serve with butter, powdered sugar, maple syrup or fruit preserves. Guaranteed to induce sweet dreams, or at least repair any trauma left by the bad ones. Enjoy.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:49 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookinBlondie Send a message via MSN to CookinBlondie Send a message via Yahoo to CookinBlondie
My mom and I just made and ate these and they are AWESOME! Truly the best we have ever had. Thanks LOADS for sharing, and i hope you don't mind if I do the same!
Old 09-06-2004, 10:55 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to shawnamcc
Here, I have an add-in that I like in my plain pancake batter.

Believe it or not - pepperoni, the sliced stuff chopped into little pieces, mixed in the batter and then thrown on the griddle.

MMMMM, Yumm
Old 09-06-2004, 11:03 AM   #35
Master Chef

In answer to the crispy edges question; Simply spoon the oil onto hot fat, such as cooking oil, bacon or sausage grease, clarified butter, etc. The oil must not be so ddep that you are "pan-frying", but must be deep enough to not be all absorbed into the batter. a Couple of tbs. should do the trick. As the oil is used up, you will need to replace it. Let the new oil get hot before pouring the batter.

As for the Buttermilk question, do no reduce the baking powder. It still does its job. I would add no more than a quarter tsp. baking soda to avoid the heavy flavor it might otherwise add. It's jsut used to provide a reaction with the acidic buttermilk.

And those ginger waffles sound yummy. I have to repair my waffle iron before I can try them though. Something is arcing and sparking when I lift the lid. Something's touching that's not supposed to be.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:56 PM   #36
Sous Chef

This may be of use to others.

Goodweed's recipe is even better if you refrigerate the batter overnight. Give it a try. Not only does it make it a lot easier in the morning if you make the batter the night before, but I think it's even better or at least just as good.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:39 AM   #37
Master Chef

I keep hearing this technique about resting the batter. My intuition may be wrong here. I always hypothisized (based on a bit of chemistry knowledge) that resting the batter would cause the chemical reactions to be used up and the end result to be flat, heavy pancakes. But as I think about it, the second leavening agent in double acting baking powder isn't activated until heat is applied. Resting the batter would allow any developed gluten to relax, making the pancake more tender. I guess I'm going to just have to start experimenting again. My only concer, don't fix it if it aint broke. We'll just have to see.

There's nothing quite like the joy of obtaining excellent results from figuring something out. :D

Well, babies are better, as is a good spouse, and maybe a porsche in the driveway (the last is only a dream, heh, heh).

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 10:28 AM   #38
Senior Cook

[quote="shawnamcc"]Here, I have an add-in that I like in my plain pancake batter.

Believe it or not - pepperoni, the sliced stuff chopped into little pieces, mixed in the batter and then thrown on the griddle.

PEPPERONI FOR BREAKFAST????? I guess if you can eat cold pizza for breakfast you can make pepperoni pancakes. LOL
Old 09-08-2004, 10:30 AM   #39
Senior Cook

CHIFFONADE: Your gingerbread pancake recipes sound wonderful. We will definitely try these this weekend. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:18 PM   #40
Cook

pancakes

Hey GoodWeed. I love your recipe, Thanks, I think it might just be the best.I am hesitant, about putting my own recipes on boards.I had friends that have seen their own recipes on cooking shows,I have taught cooking classes, and was also a nanny and a personal chef for an IBM exec. Love your input....Keep it coming.....

SONGBIRD :D