"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 01-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Rubber pancakes???

I have been trying to make pancakes from scratch all day. Every time I try to make a batch, they turn out rubbery and thick. I have tried different recipes, mixing it for a longer and shorter period of time. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and would appreciate some help!!! thank you!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Pancakes can be difficult. I find that the 2 key things are not to overmix the batter and to make sure the skillet is just the right temp. Too hot and they will burn, not hot enough and they will take too long to cook and will be dry and rubbery. I've also had better luck using a cast iron skillet or griddle - I seem to have a harder time regulating the temp on my non-stick griddle. I hope this helps and welcome to DC!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Here's a link to a thread that has some discussion on pancakes.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...eed-44052.html
Goodweed of the North is one of our resident pancake experts and he's a wealth of information.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

thank you!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Cook

I know this is cheating a bit, but if you get complete pancake mix in a store, even though it says, 'Just add water', adding an egg into it does a world of difference. And I take the butter spread (country crock, or Blue Bonnet) and melt a spoonfull,

Take a Ladle and use that to make them uniformally, and drop it swirling inward so the butter is pushed towards the middle and throughout the pancake rather than being pushed away.

I've tried makeing them from scratch and it always tastes like chalk to me. I think I may be adding too much baking powder.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Not sure why I keep promoting this recipe for free. It does make great pancakes and you should give it a try. Goodweed's Signature Dish?