Favorite way to have a scallop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I've ever had sea scallops. Are they different in texture and flavor?

Hi, Pacanis. I think the sea scallops have a bit more flavor. The only texture difference is that, since they're larger, they're usually a little firmer on the outside and softer in the middle when they're done. It's easier to overcook bay scallops, since they're so small, and overcooked scallops are tough :(

Ohhhh Fred!!! They are large, luscious pieces of meat that have a silky texture when cooked properly. Never overcook these things! Usually the ones I look for are the large or jumbo sea scallops. 4 to 5 per person, and they are soooo easy to fix!

Again... GG is quicker to the punch that I am! I'm going back to bed!

All this talk of scallops is making me want some, too.

I think I was raised with the opinion that smaller is more tender. It's always been small clams, scallops, frog legs.... I need to overcome that (lol).

I can't recall the name right now, but my Dad always made us something from Joy of Cooking.... a light white wine & cream sauce, with parmesan on top... served over rice.
He just made it a few weeks ago too...... and I can't find my book.
:(

Oooh - that reminds me of one way I do enjoy scallops in a more frou-frou application - "Coquille St. Jacques". Tiny Bay or Calico scallops (or Sea scallops cut into quarters) sauteed with mushrooms & a bit of red bell pepper for color, combined with a white wine cream sauce, piled in large scallop shells or individual ramekins, topped with cheese, & baked. Yum!

Oooh - that reminds me of one way I do enjoy scallops in a more frou-frou application - "Coquille St. Jacques". Tiny Bay or Calico scallops (or Sea scallops cut into quarters) sauteed with mushrooms & a bit of red bell pepper for color, combined with a white wine cream sauce, piled in large scallop shells or individual ramekins, topped with cheese, & baked. Yum!

wow, Breezy, that sounds great.....so it's okay to use frozen sea scallops for this if you cook them in the ramekins???

Well - you're not actually cooking the scallops "in" the ramekins. The scallops are sauteed with the vegetables first, then combined with the sauce, then put into the ramekins (or shells), topped with cheese, & then baked or broiled until just heated thru &/or the cheese is melted.

Sauteeing the scallops first is a big help if you have to use frozen, because it allows all that extra liquid that's going to come out to evaporate.

Scallop fishing season just started here in Maine. Time to go down to the fisherman's co-op and pick up some. I have to find out what the market price is for them, lobster is dirt cheap right now.

I usually like mine broiled or grilled with minimal seasonings but I have to say that the last time we ate at Red Lobster, they had a wonderful grilled scallop wrapped in bacon and grilled with some kind of sauce basted over them. It was wonderful! We ordered the appy and I wished I had ordered the meal of them. They were so tender. Melt in your mouth and the seasoning was awesome!

Yes - I read an article in the New York Times this morning about how lobster is "dirt cheap". Am wondering when that pricing will trickle down here to VA - lol!!

raw, without a doubt. hotategai, or scallop sushi is really delicious. very subtle, sweet flavors.

I love them broiled too. Gee, now I have a taste for scallops. I should never have looked at this thread.

I agree GB, sea scallops please!

I agree, unless Nantucket Cape Scallops are available. They are neither sea nor bay, but kinda in between. and the sweetest ones of all.

They are my single favorite food in the world, and I don't like them to be prepared with any flavor that gets in the way of their sweetness.

seared in sweet butter... a few champignons and maybe a pearl onion or two....

a chervil crust... or broiled in their shells.

When they're very fresh, raw is amazing. :pig:

I LOVE Coquille St. Jacques. The first time I made it was Julia Child's recipe. I love sea scallops much better than bay. My favorite way to cook them is on a skewer with onions, mushrooms and peppers doused in garlic butter and seared on the grill. Mmmmmmmm Good!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom