"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-16-2006, 11:45 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Salmon, shrimp and lobster are among some of my faves. If you don't care for the taste of fish and are on a restricted diet, there's a plethora of lite dressings (flavors) out there to use as a marinade or use as a dressing for a seafood salad, etc. I recommend subscribing to Cooking Light & buying the computer program. Any recipe you like can be added & transformed into a 'lighter' dish, and you will see the #s. Additionally, there's nothing wrong with salmon or tuna from a can/pouch packed in WATER. Paella is one of my faves. Here is a link for some ideas using salmon. However, you can sub fish of choice:

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/...l?query=salmon

If you don't care for the taste of fish here are some more thoughts:

Croquettes/Patties

Pasta (lots of options - hot or cold)

Taco Salad

Waldorf-like Salad

Kebobs - mushrooms, onions, peppers

Won tons (i.e. crab rangoon), steamed

Bisque

Smoked salmon pizza (low fat cream cheese, dill or basil, red onions, tomatoes) on pita bread

Salmon or tuna Loaf

Lasagna

Tacos

Seafood Mousse or Souffle

&
  • Tossed in risotto with lemon zest and asparagus
  • Crumbled on top of a Caesar Salad
  • Added to a bowl of Miso Soup
  • Topping a pizza crust with red onions and creme fraiche
  • Placed on Endive leaves as an elegant appetizer
  • Atop a fresh tomato salad with basil and olive oil
  • Inside a chilled martini glass, with cherry tomatoes, lime, and avocado
  • On top of chilled sliced cucumbers, with rice wine vinegar, and chopped mint
  • Tossed in pasta with mushrooms and fresh herbs
  • Layered on a bagel with cream cheese
  • Mixed with sour cream and chives for a great dip
  • Tossed with shredded cabbage and a wasabi vinaigrette
  • Chopped and tossed into hot Corn Chowder
  • On crackers
Edited to add: you can add seafood/fish to a frittata, omelette or quiche as well.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:02 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Lemon Fettuccine With Smoked Salmon

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
1/3 cup rehydrated, drained and julienned sun-dried tomatoes
Juice and zest of 2 small lemons, divided
1/4 cup cold butter cut into pieces
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 (3-ounce) pouch Smoked Salmon, flaked into bite-size pieces
1/2 pound fettuccine, cooked according to package directions
3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
Grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped fresh basil

In large skillet, in hot oil, sauté garlic. Add tomatoes and lemon juice; sauté 1 minute longer. Add cold butter, lemon zest, parsley and oregano. Stir until butter has melted and mixture has thickened slightly; remove from heat. Gently fold in salmon. Pour salmon-lemon mixture over fettuccine; gently toss until coated. Sprinkle with pine nuts, Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:28 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow Mishy,
lots of wonderful ideas in there. You've done it again..Always there to lend a hand and with wonderful ideas that give us something to work with..Thank you.

kadesma
Old 01-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Wow Mishy,
lots of wonderful ideas in there. You've done it again..Always there to lend a hand and with wonderful ideas that give us something to work with..Thank you.

kadesma
Thank you, kadesma. If I could, I would probably eat seafood and/or pasta 7 days a week. I'm working on a recipe for a salmon/asparagus lasagna with white sauce... perhaps adding some sun-dried tomatoes.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:59 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Thank you, kadesma. If I could, I would probably eat seafood and/or pasta 7 days a week. I'm working on a recipe for a salmon/asparagus lasagna with white sauce... perhaps adding some sun-dried tomatoes.
When you get it ready, let me know, I'd love to have the recipe..I enjoy most seafood, about the only thing I don't really care for is sea bass, the rest I enjoy it a lot. In fact for our anniversary, DH, was surprised I ordered linguine and scampi, when there was rack of lamb with a rosemary, honey,port sauce..The pasta and scampi was just perfect. I've become more of a fishchicken eater instead of beef as I've gotten older..Hope I'm not reverting to baby days and MUSH

kadesma, dodn't forget to post that recipe...
Old 04-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C
Sounds odd but we're trying to eat as healthy as possible and there are some good side effects from Salmon and other fishes.

The problem is, I don't like fish unless its fried and even then I'm not excited about it, but obviously that defeats the purpose.
I'm the same way. I don't like anything fishy, but I'm trying to get more fish into my diet - and expose my kids to seafood.

I've found that you can poach fish (I've done tilapita and catfish) in chicken broth and it takes away that fishy taste. For the poaching liquid, I fry some onions, garlic and celery in a little olive oil. Add chicken broth and water (3 cups water to 1 cup broth) and some white wine and lemon juice and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Poach the fish in this liquid.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #27
Master Chef

FRESH fish - regardless of the way it's prepared - should NEVER smell or taste "fishy". Even strong oily types like mackerel & bluefish, should never smell or taste fishy.

If you're having a problem with "fishy" fish utilizing any recipe whatsoever, you need to find another source for your seafood. You shouldn't have to use specific cookery methods to keep your fish from being smelly. That's ridiculous. What's happening is you're just purchasing seafood that is either too old or has been stored poorly.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
What's happening is you're just purchasing seafood that is either too old or has been stored poorly.
What do you do to make sure that you're getting good fish? Is it worth spending twice the price to get it at a fish market?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #29
Master Chef

Well, I grew up on the waterfront, so I'm used to really fresh fish.

But that said, now that I'm here in Virginia, one rule I follow is to NEVER EVER buy seafood prewrapped in plastic. That's a first-class guarantee that what you're buying is old.

Second - fresh raw fish fillets should not show signs of flaking unless it's a large fillet like cod, which naturally flakes when raw. Other fish should be firm with no signs of flesh separation.

Whole fish should look like they just jumped out of the water. Eyes clear, gills red, skin/scales shiny & bright.

And if push comes to shove, you should ask for a sniff. Really. And if it smells like anything other than a breath of fresh sea air - pass it buy. And if the service person gives you the evil eye for asking - too friggin bad; they're not the ones eating it.

The folks manning the seafood counters at our local markets here already know not to try to pass anything inferior on to me. They know I'll return it.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #30
Head Chef

So many great ideas. I will try some and post back.

I am not blessed like some others to live close to the ocean. Here in the midwest it's tough to get extremely fresh fish. To compensate I purchase fish at a Chinese market. They have large fish tanks where they store their fish. You can pick the one you want and they get it out and clean it, scale it and hand it to you. I like to cook it the same day to ensure I get it at it's freshest best.

Since you don't like fishy taste and like spicy food here is another idea. This pleases my husband who eats spicy food and loves fried and other foods that are unhealthy in my books.

Tandoori Fish

2 whole fish (I like Tilapia or Snapper but any white fish works fine). The head should be discarded but the tail can be left intact.
Ensure the fish is scaled and cleaned and patted dry with a paper towel

In a bowl mix the following:
1 cup of plain yogurt
2 pinches of red food coloring
1/4 stick of grated ginger
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 tsp of red chilli powder
juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp of cumin powder
1/2 tsp of corrainder powder (freshly roasted and ground is the best)
salt to taste

Mix all these ingredients in a bowl. Adjust salt. Place the fish in a baking dish and pour the marinade over it. Let it marinate for an hour. Bake in the oven (uncovered) for 45 minutes or until the fish is cooked.

Serve the fish with the reserved marinade (the juices that release during cooking) and some sweet onion rings and slices of lime.

It is really delicious and there is absolutely no fishy taste whatsoever.

Tags
None