"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

LOL, Mish. Mostly I made room in the freezer for now (I know, I just blew it with that move, but couldn't be helped. I was hoping (and bet correctly) that iron chef would come up with some good idea. Not that I can match his skill................

I was thinking about a kind of cool, cucumbery type sauce, though. Got anything like that, IC?

Old 06-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Constance posted an excellent Dill sauce, if you do a search, I recall her recipe was posted recently, & I posted an all in one dish - salmon, red potatoes and asparagus.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:42 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Your wish is my command:

Cucumber-Lime Vinaigrette

Yield: Approx. 1 1/2 cups

Ingredients:

1/2 c. Japanese Cucumbers, cut into 1/4" dice
1/2 c. Vine Ripened Tomato, seeds removed and cut into 1/4" dice
2/3 c. Salad Oil
1/3 c. Rice Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Fresh Lime Juice
1 tsp. Fresh Ginger, grated
2 tsp. Fresh Mint, minced
2 tsp. Fresh Parsley, minced
1 tsp. White Sugar
Kosher Salt to taste
Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste

Method:

In a mixing bowl, combine the vinegar, lime juice, sugar, and sugar. Whisk together until the sugar is dissolved. Slowly add the salad oil and whisk until emulsified. Fold in the tomato, cucumber, fresh herbs, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks all (iron chef, first I inspire you and now you obey my commands - has the earth moved somewhere???!!!)

mish, I think I saw both your and Connie's recipes. You guys never steer me wrong, so will check it out further. I had been thinking of dill and cucumber.

Will research further and attempt something this weekend, with a full after action report, of course.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #25
Everymom

Found mine. Wild West Salmon. In this recipe we have discovered that blended whiskey simply will not do. It must be the good stuff. Mudbug, are you listening? Trust me on this one. I used Canadian CC, which is different from the stuff you folks get down yonder.

Hey mudbug, I think this sounds like a Dine with Us idea. Pick a date for a Salmon night and we will all do salmon with you and share our successes.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

That's a great idea, Alix. Just checked the calendar and this weekend is not looking good for leisurely experimenting.

Friday night we have to dispatch and fetch the kid from a party.

Saturday is out because we are helping a friend break in her new tiki bar - sure to be a longish affair, eating lots of appys and drinking beaucoup booze.

Sunday seems to be the best day for me, but it's also Father's Day and I'm pretty sure HH will want to eat a big hunk o' something that used to run around on four hooves.

arrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhh - can I get back to you? My fishies are breathing frozen air right now, so they can wait a bit longer.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #27
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Sunday seems to be the best day for me, but it's also Father's Day and I'm pretty sure HH will want to eat a big hunk o' something that used to run around on four hooves.
Yep, that seems to be the menu of choice on Sunday. If I were a cow I would be pretty concerned come June!

You just post that thread whenever you are ready to experiment and we will all jump right in. Ok, I know I will jump in anyway. I am always happy to have an excuse to do a salmon.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Deal. My kid is like yours and hates salmon, so she will have pb&j whenever I get it together to make mine.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:57 PM   #29
Master Chef

Well, I just now returned from Safeway, & boy, am I disappointed!!!!!

Yes, they did have the wild Copper River Salmon filets (for $10.99 a pound here), but they looked AWFUL. With emphasis on the AWFUL. They had about 6-8 side filets, all with the flesh already separating. The very worst was the center of each filet was downright gushy/gooey. It made me ill just to look at them. I truly feel sorry for anyone not familiar with buying fresh fish who purchases these, because it could put them off fish for good.

So, no salmon dinner here tonight. I ended up buying some nice-looking vacuum-packed yellowfin tuna steaks, which I plan on doing with an Asian-style baste/marinade & serving with a side of ramen noodles mixed with grated zucchini & carrot & Asian seasonings.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:26 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Well, I just now returned from Safeway, & boy, am I disappointed!!!!!

Yes, they did have the wild Copper River Salmon filets (for $10.99 a pound here), but they looked AWFUL. With emphasis on the AWFUL. They had about 6-8 side filets, all with the flesh already separating. The very worst was the center of each filet was downright gushy/gooey. It made me ill just to look at them. I truly feel sorry for anyone not familiar with buying fresh fish who purchases these, because it could put them off fish for good.

So, no salmon dinner here tonight. I ended up buying some nice-looking vacuum-packed yellowfin tuna steaks, which I plan on doing with an Asian-style baste/marinade & serving with a side of ramen noodles mixed with grated zucchini & carrot & Asian seasonings.
You should've brought it to the attention of the manager in charge of the seafood department. At the very least they should've stuck some of those dollar-amount discount stickers on the fish if they weren't going to pull them.

Tags
None