ISO help/advice making prawn toast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooking_guy

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I was trying to make prawn toasts and a couple of questions

can i use the frozen cooked prawns (say from youngs) to make the paste?

the recipes i looked up online state rawprawns.

soem of the recipes talk about adding green onions and ginger, i guess that is not necessary, or i can substitute the green onion for the standard onion, but that would give it a stronger onion taste, correct?

I would imagine that you risk having the prawns overly dry after deepfrying if they are precooked and also probably less flavoursome if they have been cooked and frozen. Maybe up the seasoning just a fraction to counter the flavour loss. I guess that depends on the quality of the prawns too.

As to the onion, go ahead. If the onion you substitute IN is a stronger flavour than the one you take OUT, just use a little less and ensure it is cut fine. Unless you are using the green stalks of what I would call a spring onion. Then use something else.

You can put other seafood into the mix too. Not just prawns. I have had nice scallops toast also crab ones.

thanks for the reply,

so the cooked and frozen prawns would have been deep-fried.

thanks for the tip for using scallops, crab, will try that out as well

Well you aren't deep frying the seafood on their own but as part of the toast - piece of bread, prawn mixture, crumbing, fry. I've ever only seen it done in a deep fryer but I guess you could shallow fry or oven fry but the results would vary.

Back
Top Bottom