"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Pass the butter, please...*drooooool*

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

I haven't cooked whole lobsters in a long time... since the Browns beat the Patriots in a playoff game, if that tells you anything I won a bet from someone in Worcester and my pay off was two lobsters. I much prefer the tails. I guess I've got something against having food on my plate where certain parts, read innards, are inedible. Not that I would turn down a whole lobster
I just cooked a tail a few nights ago using this method I love cooking tails this way. Sorry about the poor pic. I had one pic left before the battery died and this was it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lobster steak.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	10014  

Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #33
Senior Cook

They are probably coming from a laboratory. just kidding. I love my Florida lobster not the rock lobsters from south America. Big difference. Recently, Florida lobsters were selling for $23.00 a pound at a local fish market in Pompano Fla. They are fresh, daily when in season. And, they have frozen in stock when out of season. They buy right off the boats. It's great. But, not as plentiful as in years past.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #34
Senior Cook

I wanted to try them but my wife and daughter where in the town w/the groc store and they said "if your buy'n for us, don't cause we don't like lobster." So I said not to buy them. No fun eating something "fun" alone. Takes all the "fun" out of it.

Wish I would have had them grab 1 or 2, though. Just to see what the deal was.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I haven't cooked whole lobsters in a long time... since the Browns beat the Patriots in a playoff game, if that tells you anything I won a bet from someone in Worcester and my pay off was two lobsters. I much prefer the tails. I guess I've got something against having food on my plate where certain parts, read innards, are inedible. Not that I would turn down a whole lobster
I just cooked a tail a few nights ago using this method I love cooking tails this way. Sorry about the poor pic. I had one pic left before the battery died and this was it.
That plate has all kinds of goodness on it! Very NICE!!! Get more batteries, for us at least!

I haven't check out Hill's site for a while. Nice guy, such a dork, too.

I like him, "cooking for dads", "food wishes", and jb 007. Good info and a bit funny too.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
...I haven't check out Hill's site for a while. Nice guy, such a dork, too.
I like watching dorks cook. They don't bore me, so I tend to retain what they are doing better
Old 02-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #37
Senior Cook

BigAL you should try some lobster next time. Melted butter. Thats all u need.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #38
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
8 ozs does seem way too small. but it is lobster, afterall, so go for it!!!

we buy lobsters about once every month or two, whenever one of the local supermarkets has them on sale for uner $6 per pound.

i kinda prefer soft shells because it's that much easier to get to the delicious meat. also, it's pretty cool to be able to extract the clawmeat intact.

i heard a report on a business news radio station last fall that lobster populations are doing really well off the coast of maine so that the price could really go lower. i guess the regulations that were enacted years ago to re-establish maine lobsters worked. maybe too well.

the fishing industry is keeping the price "artificially" high because if it went too low it would remove some of the mystique that lobsters are a luxurious food item.

i cook maine lobsters either by steaming, or boiling with potatoes and corn. i've made caribbean lobster meat before in a sort of spicy alfredo sauce with linguini, but not in a long time.
It's funny when you think about it because according to a few things I have read, during the colonial days prisoners were served lobster because they were plentiful and no one else wanted them.

I'm one of the handful of people who don't like lobster or crab--too sweet for me. I was watching a cooking show on PBS recently. They were in the Caribbean, grilling lobsters. He said that the lobsters there tasted a lot different than what most people in the U.S. were used to. Just as I was thinking, "Well then, maybe I would like it," he went on to say that they were much sweeter than most lobster. Nope, I wouldn't like it!

Barbara
Old 02-18-2011, 07:02 AM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
BigAL you should try some lobster next time. Melted butter. Thats all u need.
I bought a live one from the groc store. Did it the "Alton Brown" way using the leg meat w/ritz as a stuffing in the thorax. Did it in the oven, was good. That is the only fresh I've had.

I've wanted to order fresh from Maine, but since nobody else cares for it, I have a hard time spending the money.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #40
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
I've wanted to order fresh from Maine, but since nobody else cares for it, I have a hard time spending the money.
If you decide to order we have had great service from The Lobster Net.

Kathleen even got me the lobster of the month club one year. Umm.. lobsters once a month for 3 months... yum.

Tags
None