"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
All this talk of lobster, especially live lobster, reminded me of buying a dozen live lobsters in New Brunswick many years ago. I lived in a very large flat with a couple of very long corridors. We had lobster races The cats were fascinated.

Served the lobster plain with melted butter. Yummm.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #42
Senior Cook

My husband and son used to do alot of diving in Florida. We always had alot of Florida lobsters. (You can eat tails only). I grilled them or steamed them. (In beer and water mix). I miss that! These days, the guys prefer to take pictures only and not disturb the lobsters.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
My husband and son used to do alot of diving in Florida. We always had alot of Florida lobsters. (You can eat tails only). I grilled them or steamed them. (In beer and water mix). I miss that! These days, the guys prefer to take pictures only and not disturb the lobsters.
I get along fine with most catch and release, except for one fishing show I watched where they threw back a large Halibut. Years of flounder fishing with my Mom and they threw back the biggest flounder I'd ever seen.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:38 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
All this talk of lobster, especially live lobster, reminded me of buying a dozen live lobsters in New Brunswick many years ago. I lived in a very large flat with a couple of very long corridors. We had lobster races The cats were fascinated.

Served the lobster plain with melted butter. Yummm.
lol, wow taxy, you just reminded me of one of my sister's weddings. she married a good ol' boy from iowa, so the reception was a real "katie bar the door" kind of party. after the people ath reception hall threw us out, we ended up, drunk as skunks, at a red lobster.

it didn't take long before we raided the lobster tank and were having races, complete with little napkins with numbers on them for their "silks".

good times.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:12 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, wow taxy, you just reminded me of one of my sister's weddings. she married a good ol' boy from iowa, so the reception was a real "katie bar the door" kind of party. after the people ath reception hall threw us out, we ended up, drunk as skunks, at a red lobster.

it didn't take long before we raided the lobster tank and were having races, complete with little napkins with numbers on them for their "silks".

good times.
Did they end up kicking you out of there too?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #46
Master Chef

I would try it, probably not a Maine lobster, but also probably pretty good. Around here (i.e., the Midwest) the going price is what the market will bear. The nearest lobster tank is in Chicago (three hours away). My mom has sent me "lobster-grams" for special occasions over the years since I moved to the Midwest. Once the FedEx guy looked at me funny and asked me, "There really isn't a live lobster in there??????" Yup. Watch. Opened and he was rather shocked! Live lobsters and clams.

I like all forms of the lobsters. I like the claw meat of Maine type lobsters best (the tail is good, but the claws more tender!)(and getting the claws out whole is a challenge that we do for fun), but I like the Pacific lobsters we ate in Hawaii equally as well.

The rock shrimp we ate a lot in Florida (and I've never seen here frozen) has a lobster-ish flavor as well.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #47
Senior Cook

I never cared for rock lobster. I like Maine but love Florida lobster, by far. Rock lobster is often skimpy on size and flavor.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #48
Senior Cook

The mention of lobster races scaring the cats reminded me of years in Florida bringing lobsters home from a dive. My beagle would howl at them as we unloaded and sat them down on the carport for her to view. It was hilarious! She would back up and howl and her fur would stick up on her back. And, she always refused a piece of the meat after I grilled it.

Tags
None