"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
All this talk of lobster, especially live lobster, reminded me of buying a dozen live lobsters in New Brunswick many years ago. I lived in a very large flat with a couple of very long corridors. We had lobster races The cats were fascinated.

Served the lobster plain with melted butter. Yummm.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #42
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 264
My husband and son used to do alot of diving in Florida. We always had alot of Florida lobsters. (You can eat tails only). I grilled them or steamed them. (In beer and water mix). I miss that! These days, the guys prefer to take pictures only and not disturb the lobsters.
__________________

__________________
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
My husband and son used to do alot of diving in Florida. We always had alot of Florida lobsters. (You can eat tails only). I grilled them or steamed them. (In beer and water mix). I miss that! These days, the guys prefer to take pictures only and not disturb the lobsters.
I get along fine with most catch and release, except for one fishing show I watched where they threw back a large Halibut. Years of flounder fishing with my Mom and they threw back the biggest flounder I'd ever seen.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:38 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
All this talk of lobster, especially live lobster, reminded me of buying a dozen live lobsters in New Brunswick many years ago. I lived in a very large flat with a couple of very long corridors. We had lobster races The cats were fascinated.

Served the lobster plain with melted butter. Yummm.
lol, wow taxy, you just reminded me of one of my sister's weddings. she married a good ol' boy from iowa, so the reception was a real "katie bar the door" kind of party. after the people ath reception hall threw us out, we ended up, drunk as skunks, at a red lobster.

it didn't take long before we raided the lobster tank and were having races, complete with little napkins with numbers on them for their "silks".

good times.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:12 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, wow taxy, you just reminded me of one of my sister's weddings. she married a good ol' boy from iowa, so the reception was a real "katie bar the door" kind of party. after the people ath reception hall threw us out, we ended up, drunk as skunks, at a red lobster.

it didn't take long before we raided the lobster tank and were having races, complete with little napkins with numbers on them for their "silks".

good times.
Did they end up kicking you out of there too?
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #46
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
I would try it, probably not a Maine lobster, but also probably pretty good. Around here (i.e., the Midwest) the going price is what the market will bear. The nearest lobster tank is in Chicago (three hours away). My mom has sent me "lobster-grams" for special occasions over the years since I moved to the Midwest. Once the FedEx guy looked at me funny and asked me, "There really isn't a live lobster in there??????" Yup. Watch. Opened and he was rather shocked! Live lobsters and clams.

I like all forms of the lobsters. I like the claw meat of Maine type lobsters best (the tail is good, but the claws more tender!)(and getting the claws out whole is a challenge that we do for fun), but I like the Pacific lobsters we ate in Hawaii equally as well.

The rock shrimp we ate a lot in Florida (and I've never seen here frozen) has a lobster-ish flavor as well.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #47
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 264
I never cared for rock lobster. I like Maine but love Florida lobster, by far. Rock lobster is often skimpy on size and flavor.
__________________
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #48
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 264
The mention of lobster races scaring the cats reminded me of years in Florida bringing lobsters home from a dive. My beagle would howl at them as we unloaded and sat them down on the carport for her to view. It was hilarious! She would back up and howl and her fur would stick up on her back. And, she always refused a piece of the meat after I grilled it.
__________________

__________________
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.