"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Lobster & price question

On sale is 8-10oz whole cooked lobster for $4/each. Haven't seen them yet, but I'm guess'n they look like big crawfish or very small lobsters. Anyway, for out here it kinda sounds like a good price, about $8/#. I don't know if they are hard or soft shell.

Not have'n lobster very much, maybe once every 5yrs(?), I'm wonder'n if this is something to consider or just skip this "loss leader"? Or should I buy as many as I can get my hands on and have lobster rolls on the cheap? I was think'n 2/person would be ok. Just talk'n wife and kids.

Just wanted your opinion.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Executive Chef

That seems like a low weight for a whole cooked lobster, if it is a Maine. I don't buy Maine lobster, but I do know that folks down here sell stone crab claws called "lights". The meat inside does not fill the shell. The price is about 1/2 of the market price for that size. Your getting twice the number of claws, but only 1/4 to 1/2 the actual meat of market priced claws.

I also know that you sometimes run into the same thing with live blue crab. That is why I always want to feel the weigh, since the places I generally buy from sell by the dozen.

Craig

Old 02-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

If it's an American lobster (Homarus Americanus) 8-10 ounces is well below legal weight.

If it's a clawless lobster, that's another story. That's about $8 a pound for whole cooked lobster. That's not a great price in MA but may be in W.KS.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If it's an American lobster (Homarus Americanus) 8-10 ounces is well below legal weight.

If it's a clawless lobster, that's another story. That's about $8 a pound for whole cooked lobster. That's not a great price in MA but may be in W.KS.
What if that sucker had been sitting in a tank for several weeks with no food intake or was a "light"? I believe, like panulirus argus (Florida/Caribbean lobster) legal size is determined by measurment, not weight.

Craig
Old 02-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
...legal size is determined by measurment, not weight.

Craig

Exactly right. The length of the shell between two specified points determines the legality of the lobster's size. As to whether they were starved or are spiny lobsters, I cannot say.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Head Chef

Just a week ago, I also took a rare look at lobster. Still $14/lb live, plus the store'll steam cook your pick. They looked scrawny, not much more than a pound each. Pre-cooked, I'd probably buy a meal's worth at $8. But, a Red Lobster restaurant doesn't charge much more than that either, I figure. Can I ask 2 questions: 1) is lobster seasonal? when is the best time to buy? 2) frozen tails, either raw or cooked, does lobster hold up well compared to fresh?
Old 02-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've had frozen raw spiney lobster tails. They were wonderful!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Just a week ago, I also took a rare look at lobster. Still $14/lb live, plus the store'll steam cook your pick. They looked scrawny, not much more than a pound each. Pre-cooked, I'd probably buy a meal's worth at $8. But, a Red Lobster restaurant doesn't charge much more than that either, I figure. Can I ask 2 questions: 1) is lobster seasonal? when is the best time to buy? 2) frozen tails, either raw or cooked, does lobster hold up well compared to fresh?
Lobster, both the Maine and Florida/ Caribbean have seasons. I don't know the season for Maine lobster, but do know that it is still going around Thanksgiving. The regular season, in Florida and US, starts August 6th and ends March 31 of the following year. However, a lot of the Florida/Caribbean lobster is imported. Much from South America. If it is below the Equator, the seasons are different (our winter = their summer etc.), so we can probably get that type of lobster year round in frozen form.

In some recipes, I prefer frozen to fresh. That being said, I know my lobster is frozen fresh because we have caught them.

Craig
Old 02-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post

Maine lobsters molt in the warm weather months. They outgrow their shells (hard shell lobsters at this point), cast them off and grow a new bigger shell to grow into (soft shelled lobsters).

A hard shell lobster's shell is thicker and heavier and it's tightly packed with flesh just before it is discarded.

A soft shell lobster has a thinner, lighter and oversized shell that the lobster will grow into so there is a lot of space between the meat and the inside of the shell.

Soft shelled lobsters are much less expensive in the summer around here. Supermarkets sell them for as low as $4.99 a pound. This is considered off season for lobsters.

Hard shells sell for more in the cold weather months.

It's not clear to me what percent of the weight of a live lobster is meat when comparing a soft shell to a hard shell. In one case the shell weighs more because it's thicker but it's full of meat. In the other case, the shell weighs less because it's new but the meat doesn't fill the shell.

I don't hesitate to buy soft shells in the warm weather months because I can readily enjoy them at a lower cost.

I don't freeze lobster meat though you certainly can.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Head Chef

Costco lobster is now coming from Brazil. It is anybodies guess where they are getting 10 oz whole lobsters, but I don't think they would not have a lot of meat.

Tags
None