"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-27-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Master Chef

Question Looking for a very simple Walleye recipe.

Picked up couple of them frozen in the store yesterday. Wondering if there is something really simple to do with the whole fish. They are about 1.5 lbs.

Old 06-27-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
could you fry them up like trout? With bread crumbs and butter??

Old 06-27-2005, 01:21 PM   #3

You could broil, fry, or bake.

Every year when we go home to Indiana have to visit one certain restaurant that serves an almond-crusted, pan-fried walleye with jalapeno tartar sauce. It's incredible!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
Master Chef

How about cooking it on the grill? My husband did that with some large whole bass, and they were delicious! He just rubbed them with a little lemon and olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, a grilled until just done.
I love walleye...my husband did some work up north for a while, and he and the bosses did some fishing. He brought home walleye fillets, which we panfried, and they were "finger-lickin' good!"
Old 06-29-2005, 01:03 AM   #5
Master Chef

My Step-Dad is an avid walleye fisherman - he usually goes to 3-5 welleye tournaments every year. I'll be seeing him on Thursday or Friday and I'll ask him what other recipes he has. I know he grills, bakes, broils and fries it.

Here are some walleye recipes that might give you some ideas: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...alleye+recipes
Old 06-29-2005, 08:56 AM   #6
Head Chef

Try dipping fillets in egg wash then ground cracker crumbs and pan fry.(yum) Or Rub with a little evoo and salt and pepper and lemon and foil wrap and place on grill or in oven. Also a good beer batter and then deep fry.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:05 AM   #7
Master Chef

Talked to Pop tonight and he said you can cook walleye any way you want - he prefers his either deep or pan fried. Mom said you could also use any recipe that calls for perch. She also said there was one of the guys they camp with every year at one of the walleye rodeos that uses a cajun spice blend (he won't give out the recipe) and makes blackened walleye.

So, guess that gives you a lot of options!
Old 07-03-2005, 04:19 AM   #8
Head Chef

Deep fried is good, but so is pan fried. For deep frying I suggest a standard flour & eggwash treatment, then into panko or other bread crumbs. Crushes saltines also works well. Deep fry in enough oil to cover. Tartar sauce or hollandaise is nice with it.

To pan fry, I advise you keep it simple. A bit of S&P, and perhaps some fresh herbs, is all you need. Seasoned salt is also good. Sautee over medium heat in olive oil with a couple pats of butter. The butter will give you some browning while the olive oil will cook without burning.

Good luck with your walleyes!
Old 07-04-2005, 08:41 AM   #9
Master Chef

Michael, your mention of blackened fish reminds me of a divine meal that I ate at a restaurant in Thibodaux, La, many years ago. It was crab dressing stuffed, blackened redfish, and I thought I had died and gone to heaven!
Don't remember the name of the restaurant, except that it was listed as a 4 or 5 star restaurant in the Playboy restaurant guide.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #10
Master Chef

Yeah, I ended up pan frying the whole fish, yum.

Tags
None