"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-16-2005, 10:03 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
DC - up into Goodweed Country eh?

No doubt about you guys, Lifter plunges the fishing knife in, and you guys give it a few darn good twists.......

During Winter we used to head up into the high country near here to get Trout, but in the last few years I've been unable to negotiate the hard country. To ensure a catch we had to drive 2 hours & walk, clamber, swim, fall and just about kill one's self for a further 4 - 6 hours to get to decent spots. Spending a few days up there was good, but bringing out any 'proof' was also quite difficult. About the only consumable we'd take in was RUM, and some jerky.

Bass (and some Perch) are in our river, but the European carp are gradually pushing them out. For every Bass caught, you've probably caught 5 or 6 Carp (yuk). Although Carp make the passionfruit vines grow well. :)

Old 01-17-2005, 07:49 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Brooksy, sounds like a fishing trip into Michigan except that you left out the leeches. Lot's of 'em, and they get pretty big. :x Other than that, I can't complain about fishing in Michigan! :D

Old 01-17-2005, 08:39 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Brooksy, sounds like a fishing trip into Michigan except that you left out the leeches. Lot's of 'em, and they get pretty big. :x Other than that, I can't complain about fishing in Michigan! :D
Didn't want to complain too loudly. Generally I was the only smoker, but it was a bit tough listening to the nonsmokers whinging 'cos I wouldn't bumburn their suckers. Just call me an old softie.

Anyway if we were unlike it might snow whilst we are up there. Not used to that white stuff. Tends to be a bit cold.

There's no shortage of white stuff up there where you guys are. Bbrrrrrr. No shortage of fishing holes or lakes in Lifter country either, just have to wait for them to defrost.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:52 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Nah, Brooksy, if the ice gets too thick we just cut a hole in it! Trout like cold water! :D
Old 01-17-2005, 10:05 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Nah, Brooksy, if the ice gets too thick we just cut a hole in it! Trout like cold water! :D
Guess you don't have many brass monkeys up your way.

Those that are there would have to be naturally neutered.

On our local mountains 9 times out of 10 if it snows over night the days are warm enough to melt it. We are the only continent without permanent snow. They even have to use man made snow on our snowfields during the skiing season.

Question: Why go fishing in the freezing cold weather?
Answer: To catch better fish than you Ozzy dust kickers....

Apart from King George Whiting, Trout is the most beautiful tasting fish I've ever had.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:30 PM   #16

Brooksy, try a quick dash ofsalt on those leeches, and watch them writhe off your skin in double-quick time!

You gotta get up here some time, and we'll take a run at the 1.5-2.5 lb "pickerel" (ie walleyes!) and have a fry up...you'll swear off trout, and no doubt "re-install your Ozzie Brain" "up-side down" and become a Canuck!

Have my three weeks planned for the cottage in June this year (incredibly, my wife is even agreeing!), you can read up on the place at www.hawk-lake.com (naturally, we are staying at the cottage, not the incredibly expensive Lodge, the cost will be the gasoline, a couple nights of hotel fees and meals, along with the slightly higher cost of "good eating" and hosting a few "crowds", along with the inevitable "beer bill"...

You are one guy that I would "love to 'host' there, tho!" You'd fit right in!

Lifter
Old 01-17-2005, 10:31 PM   #17
Executive Chef

LOL! Brooksy, I wish I could fish with you! When I save up for the big trip over the big pond, I'll let you know when I'm coming! :D
Old 01-17-2005, 11:54 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Thanxs Guys, you're both tearaways.

I'd love to come over & go fishing in the lakes, eat Canadian tucker, tell a few lies, plait the toes and of course turn beer into water. Also love to hit your area DC & GW it'd be great fun. I'll have to work on my lotto numbers more. Haven't won anything for years.

Always found that the hot tip of a ciggy worked better than salt & it ain't my fault if the other guys didn't know about the salt. That's all we used in the services as smoking on patrol wasn't allowed.

And before you guys get on my back, yes I am giving up smoking shortly when MDW gets over her cravings for the smell. She is in week 3 and doing it well except she sidles up beside me when I'm having a puff. Hasn't faltered though, am very proud of her.

Right, I have to go and take the plane for a test fly. Weather is overcast so no thermals.

Thanx very much fellas, see you later.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:01 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Clear skies, Brooksy, you're killing me here. 8)

Tags
None