"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Actually, looking will tell you a lot. If you open the lid and the lobster is not bright red then you know it is not done yet. Checking rice prior to it being done will ruin the rice. Checking the lobster before it is done will have no negative effects at all.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Steaming does require an enclosure. Opening a steaming enclosure IS a negative effect!
A red carapace is NOT an indication of doneness.
The "recipe" is a timed process under a given set of circumstances. Altering those circumstances alters the given recipe. And the alliteration between rice and lobster is much closer than you give credit.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

I did not say red us an indication of doneness. I said it not being red yet is an indication of it NOT being done.

I have eaten thousands of lobsters, many of them steamed. I can promise you that some were not peeked on and others were. I would challenge anyone to tell the difference.

Lobster is not done by time. As with anything else it is done by temp. Unlike rice, as long as you get to the final temp, checking will not alter the taste or texture of the end result.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
Sous Chef

You can't use an arbitrary time to cook lobster. Like any meat, size and temperature will determine how long it takes to cook.

I like to broil mine. Cut through the hard side of the shell with kitchen shears. Lift the meat out through the slit, leaving the very back tip attached. lay the meat attractively on the shell. Spread the tail fins for stability. Brush with butter & season. Broil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lobster asparagus (3).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	7765  
Old 12-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #15
Head Chef

I would like to add that with rice, the steam/water goes into the food, whereas with the lobster, it is used to cook it via the moist heat. Steam can continue to get hot, but the loss of heat by peeking will only affect the time, and one can adjust for that. With rice, lifting the lid will lose water that would go into the product, and lengthening the cooking time won't help that.
Similarities, maybe. Differences, yes.
So, how 'bout that recipe for lobster tail?
I picked up some of that refrigerated, canned, crab claw meat to accompany the lobster tails for my Newburg. I picked up some Madeira for the first time (yikes) and put some in my bean soup tonight.... mmmmm!
I'll be putting it in puff pastry shells. Not sure what veggie yet. But, it's going to be a romantic dinner. Of course, asparagus would be grand, but hubby hates it. So, maybe just peas.
Followed by a mean game of Yahtzee...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Then, GB, you post and use your recipe, and I will use mine, which is about the most simple and common, probably coast to coast.

When I posted it, I had no idea that someone would become enthusiastic about looking or not looking into a pot at a common weight of 2-3 lb. tail. I mean, it's not an old family secret, and even the preferred method of my friend, Cynthia, who with her husband, were Maine Lobstermen out of Rockport, because it's quick and simple. And I'm not saying there aren't other or even better ways of cooking lobster (I prefer grilling), but for simplicity - 8 minute steaming!

Tags
None