Salmon...help me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you my friends....I knew there had to be an easy solution to the desired end result I was looking for!
I will give that a try next time.

Dee

I find the skin-on type usually at a fish store fresh ... the pre-packaged are usually skinless. I tried to pan-sear one of these skinless ones the other day and ended up frying it .. turmed out just OK. I always seem to have more trouble with the packaged frozen ones but they are much more convinient! I need to work on tequnique. The skin sort of grossed me out at first but crisped up it was really tasty.

MK... I have always been terrified of cooking Salmon in the CI... after disasterous results with my grill pan.... you give me hope to try again.... not the grill pan though that was a mess.

The last time we went to O'Charley's, they had a salmon fillet that was topped with horseradish cream sauce and seasoned breadcrumbs, then broiled. It had a crust, and it was delicious.

deelady, start with dry fish. Add the lemon after cooking. Get the pan hot and add the oil and heat that up. Use a generous amount of oil.

Don't cook it super fast like pan searing a steak. Let it sizzle in the oil for a while and it will get crispy and brown.

Thank you Constance but I was referring more to the texture as Andy was decribing here...I guess I should have used another word other than crust :)
I have seen the dish you mentioned at O'Charlies but I have never tried it, not really a big fan of horseradish...but I am a BIG fan of their dinner rolls!! YUM! :):)

oh there is no skin they were just filets I bought ...steaks are the ones that usually have the skin on right?

steaks only have skin around the edge of the piece. The fillet will have skin on the bottom, unless it's been removed. Ask for fillets with the skin on. It is the skin that becomes crispy, unless there is a coating -- generally of some sort of crumbs on the fish. I often use a coating of falafel mix on top the fillet. I hold it onto the fish with a light coating of Dijon mustard.

dee - I get a little crispy coating on mine but I brush on a mixture of Dijon mustard, brown sugar, and soy sauce. I have also gotten a little crunchy action my simply searing (medium to medium-high heat) for a few minutes. Watch as the salmon cooks from the bottom to the top. When you see the opaque reach almost the center turn over. There should be a bit of brown on the top of the salmon. Always cook top side up first. Once turned watch it cook again, from the bottom to the middle. It's the way I cook most of my fish. I know that little bit of crunchy you are talking about!! We're not talking "fried" fish crunch - simply a crunchiness due to carmelization.

Restaurants also have what's called a salamander. They can saute or grill a piece of fish then finish it off in a salamander, which may be the key.

deelady, start with dry fish. Add the lemon after cooking. Get the pan hot and add the oil and heat that up. Use a generous amount of oil.

Don't cook it super fast like pan searing a steak. Let it sizzle in the oil for a while and it will get crispy and brown.

I have to agree and was going to suggest that the lemon be the last seasoning after cooking.

dee - I get a little crispy coating on mine but I brush on a mixture of Dijon mustard, brown sugar, and soy sauce. I have also gotten a little crunchy action my simply searing (medium to medium-high heat) for a few minutes. Watch as the salmon cooks from the bottom to the top. When you see the opaque reach almost the center turn over. There should be a bit of brown on the top of the salmon. Always cook top side up first. Once turned watch it cook again, from the bottom to the middle. It's the way I cook most of my fish. I know that little bit of crunchy you are talking about!! We're not talking "fried" fish crunch - simply a crunchiness due to carmelization.

Restaurants also have what's called a salamander. They can saute or grill a piece of fish then finish it off in a salamander, which may be the key.

That coating mixture sounds delicious, Elf! I will have to try it. :)

I always cook my fish fillets top side down first and get the crust on. Then turn it skin side down and finish cooking for the crispy skin.

Follow these steps to get a crispy, golden brown surface on the salmon:

1. Make sure that the surface of the salmon is dry. Season with salt and pepper only.

2. Heat oil in a pan on high until smoking hot. Do not use butter. It will burn before it can get to the temperature needed to sear unless it is clarified.

3. Add the salmon to the pan. Cook on high for about 20-30 seconds, then turn heat down to medium. It should probably take about 4 minutes to get that color and texture.

4. Once you add the salmon to the pan, DON'T MOVE IT AROUND. You'll be able to tell the doneness of the fish by the edges. When the edges start to turn a deep golden brown, lift to check the rest of the fish.

5. Once you get the color and texture, flip the fish and continue cooking until medium doneness. You don't really want to serve salmon past medium unless it is not fresh.

Thank you Ironchef, I appreciate the tip!

Nice to know there were plenty of you out there who knew exactly what I was looking for and that it wasn't a senseless question! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom