"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-31-2010, 01:12 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Sushi: A Thread to Determine What You Might Like

Okay, so I'm fairly new to sushi rolls and I've been grading the different rolls I've had and I want to create a thread where you can share your grades as well so that you can have an idea of what NEW rolls to order next time. Point being: if I know someone else loves spicy tuny with tempura shrimp and they also love such and such, that I will feel confident if I try out such and such next time.

Here is my list, small for now but I will come back every so often to update it:

Alaska: Crabmeat, salmon, cucumber, smelt roe ----- C+
Banzai: Spicy tuna, shrimp tempura, soy bean paper ---- A+
Mexican: Spicy tuna roll, spicy crab, jalapeno on top ---- B

Please add your grades so we can figure out what to order next time

Old 07-31-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
It's been a long while since I had really good Sushi. I love most of what I can remember:

Dragon Roll
Spicy Tuna
Crunchy Roll
Spider Roll
Rainbow Roll
Mountain Roll

All ate at my fav place: I Love Sushi in Bellevue, WA

Old 07-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedmadness View Post
Okay, so I'm fairly new to sushi rolls and I've been grading the different rolls I've had and I want to create a thread where you can share your grades as well so that you can have an idea of what NEW rolls to order next time. Point being: if I know someone else loves spicy tuny with tempura shrimp and they also love such and such, that I will feel confident if I try out such and such next time.

Here is my list, small for now but I will come back every so often to update it:

Alaska: Crabmeat, salmon, cucumber, smelt roe ----- C+
Banzai: Spicy tuna, shrimp tempura, soy bean paper ---- A+
Mexican: Spicy tuna roll, spicy crab, jalapeno on top ---- B

Please add your grades so we can figure out what to order next time
I think this is a nifty idea for a thread. My question is are the grades for taste alone and what would you call an "A", etc. Yes, the educator in me is coming out.

That being said, I love the "Rock and Roll" at the Orient in Towson, Maryland. It's visually beautiful as the layers of eel, salmon, tuna, and yellow tail wrap around seasoned rice and seaweed. The taste changes with each bite since you get a slightly different combination of the roll with each piece. For the excellent combo of visual prettiness and fabulous taste, I'd rate it an A.

I love Dynamite Rolls made with yellow tail. My only concern is that I once heard seasoning the fish for it was a way to hide the flavor of older fish. It's delicious, but I always wonder. The taste is an A but the prettiness is average at a C. It's just fish and rice wrapped in seaweed. Now, it makes my mouth water, but no wow factor. Therefore I give Dynamite Rolls a B.

I tend not to like rolls with cream cheese or fried food inside. I do like rolls that are simple and would likely get a C rating in visual. One roll that gets an A for a visual is their "House Roll", which has a bit of everything in it. I personally do not like it as the proteins are overwhelming and all at once. Again, a B because an A for presentation and a C for overwhelming me with everything all at once....fortunately I can pick it apart so I won't turn it down. .

~Kathleen

Old 07-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

I love sushi....I just wish the feeling was mutual. I have a throat problem which stops me from eating all shell fish except scallops (if cooked right) and most sushi. The funny thing is that I can eat, and love, sashimi and vegetarian sushi; however when you combine the raw fish, and rice, something goes terribly wrong. But I absolutely love (straight A's):

California roll (with real crab only)
Avocado roll
cucumber roll
asparagus roll
salmon and tuna sashimi

I really wish I could eat a BC roll as is because it is so tasty, but I have to "deconstruct" it!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Master Chef

Do they have to be rolls? I rarely order rolls when I go for sushi. The only roll I order is tekka-maki.
On the other hand, my wife usually orders rolls as she is not crazy about having nigiri-sushi.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

No Roadfix, sushi is a whole realm of things. Rolls is just one. I can only eat rolls (and very few of those) and sashimi, but I think the OP was meaning any kind of sushi.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I prefer my homemade "Spicy Tuna Roll". Many bars hide the blood-line meat from their fish in the mixes, but at home you can be sure it's not there. Proper fan-cooled rice is tough to find in most sushi bars. I'm always slightly depressed when I see rice being scooped directly from a room-temp rice cooker onto the rolls. Some bars also go a little too heavy on the sesame oil in the spicy sauce (I use just a few drops for half a dozen rolls). Within my roll I include finely diced tuna, capelin roe, a very small amount of wasabi, my spicy sauce, micro-greens, and some pieces of crispy tempura batter for texture. On the outside I apply a healthy amount of capelin roe (which I prefer over flying-fish roe, and it's cheaper to boot!).

When I eat out I always order Nigiri, and start with Tamago, Hamachi, and Saba. If it's good I just ask the chef to give me a spread.

Tags
None