"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

there's 2 kinds of small roe: tobiko (flying fish) and masago (smelt). both are kinda crunchy.
then there's ikura, or salmon roe. larger eggs in slime that pop more than crunch. imo, better used as trout or catfish bait.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #22
Executive Chef

y'all are the bomb. thanks so much for enticing my appetite in this direction to try new things. I got great info from a wonderful gentleman on the way to work today about sushi. he's no longer a novice and enjoys it as much as the rest of you here. he thumbs up, the scallop thing, the flying fish roe and told me bar none, I have to have a spider roll. whatever that is, he also adores eel. man oh man have I ever been living under a bridge all my life to have missed so much foodwise................

Old 03-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

lefse, a spider roll is soft shell crab that's been battered in panko and deep fried, then chopped in half and rolled, usually with cucumber, in rice and nori. before it's sliced, the legs stick out of the ends a little, thus resembling a spider.

they are good, and another very safe choice as it is cooked. dw loves them, but i'm not a big fan of fried stuff in sushi. unnecessary fatty/starchy flavors mixed in with the cleanliness of fish and rice, imo.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #24
Cook

Not all places have it but if you see Dynamite roll on the menu, order it. It is smelt roe, crab, lobster (I think) and a couple of other things. Then they top it with a spicy mayonnaise. The stuff almost tastes like the sauce they put over crab imperial.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingCop View Post
and a couple of other things.
it's the couple of other things that worry me
Old 03-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Don't think about it until after you have tasted it. Unless the chef REALLLLLY hates you, you aren't going to be given anything inedible! LOL
Old 03-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
Don't think about it until after you have tasted it. Unless the chef REALLLLLY hates you, you aren't going to be given anything inedible! LOL
you mean he won't accidently slip me any fugu?
anyway, I think, he actually likes me
Old 03-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
So, have you eaten there yet...or is it tomorrow?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:21 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
So, have you eaten there yet...or is it tomorrow?
this started out my day (found it at a store called "Mix/Match/Old/New") and the best part was it was $4 not the $80 listed here so you can imagine what a good day this was for me. yes, one more butter dish bought and one more on the way from eBay. yeah!!!
it's snowin so I had to almost run, but this is what I just ate.
I gave the main man, the fella that always waits on me, my list.
I took notes from here and took that, with all the snow, was worried about the laptop so didn't take it. he stopped me at this and said next time, we can fill in the rest of the blanks. at least, that's what I 'think' he said, what an accent...

eel
scallop
yellow tail
flying fish roe
spider roll
dynomite roll
spicy tuna
white tuna
dragon roll

yes, I had to have some of it wrapped up to take for tomorrow which is fine. I really enjoyed everything, the scallop sort of did a texture number on me but I managed. the eel, very very good. the spider roll was good, but hard to eat, the dragon roll, looked like a dragon and very good. the dynomite roll, also very good. the yellow tail/white tuna/spicy tuna were good with me liking the spicy tuna most of those three. the flying fish roe, was uh, uh, uh, good/hysterical crunch/pop a tiny salty which I like, but not really sure if that'd be one I'd get again.

all in all, I think you all sent me in the right direction and I thank you very much for all of your input.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:01 AM   #30
Executive Chef

I just wish we got sushi like that here!!!

Tags
None