"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-05-2006, 03:30 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic
I think Tilapia and Nile Perch are two different fish. From what I remember reading several years ago, the Nile Perch in Lake Victoria were threatened by the Nile Perch (which is supposed to be really disgusting to eat). Eventually, because Tilapia are fast growers, they rebounded and aren't in danger anymore. But they are two different fish.
They are two different fish. Tilapia are actually members of the cichlid family, but they are commonly labled and sold as Nile Perch. I put that in because some people may know the fish as a Nile Perch rather than a Tilapia. It's like the Chilean Sea Bass. It's not a bass but because of the fish's texture, flavor, and marketing ploys, it's now known as a type of bass.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #32
Master Chef

You're right Ironchef. What everyone swoons over as "Chilean Sea Bass" is actually called "Patagonian Toothfish", which seafood marketing geniouses decided wasn't terribly appealing - lol!!!!

And it doesn't even resemble any sort of "bass" in even the remotest way - rather it's a long snarly-looking sort of fish.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:45 AM   #33
Cook

The price is around 5.30$ lbs for tilapia filets here.

I think i'll give a try ti this fish. I never ate it before.

Can you recommend me a recipe?

Thank you
Old 06-14-2006, 07:27 AM   #34
Head Chef

Question Live tilapia? Fish stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
The other day I saw it for $2.99/lb. for whole, fresh, farm raised fish. I've noticed that through posts on here, lots of people actually eat it.

So, how much is tilapia in your area?
A conversation with riverli in the Beautiful chinese dishes thread got me out into a couple of Asian markets yesterday. Both had live tilapia in tanks and had paper signs saying, "Tilapia $2.99" taped to the tank. I wondered if they meant per pound or fish, but communication was difficult and live fish wasn't the mission so I didn't learn any more. I will be back to one of them at, least, and expect to find out.

I don't remember for sure but I think I've paid 4.99 to 5.99 for tilapia fillets. I've never bought the whole cleaned fish.

Does tilapia make a decent fish stock?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #35
Head Chef

Here in Spain, tilapia is sold as "perca". It goes for between €8 and €11 a kilo, about the same price as farmed salmon fillets and steaks. They used to sell larger fillets as "mero" (usually translated as "grouper") but nowadays the fillets are definitely smaller than before.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #36
Master Chef

Sam's club sells a 3 lb bag, filet for $9.98 here in MN

Tags
None