"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 04-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
Senior Cook
I think it has a catfish sort of quality. I agree with all that has been said about it here, but for as far as bland fish goes, I like Orange Roughy better.

carolelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
ditto, ditto, and ditto: non-oily, non-fishy fish, therefore versatile in everything. how about next time, instead of cooking it with all the sauces and taking advantage of it's mere non-offensiveness, why not try it in a very subtle method of cooking, where the delicate flavor gets to shine through? say, wrap in parchment paper with just a bit of sea salt, pepper, sliver of lemon or sprig of thyme, and tiny splash of dry (unoaked!) white wine.

i like tilapia very much for when i'm serving friends that aren't the crazy seafood junkies that i am, and of course the price can't be beat. but i love tilapia when it gets to just be what it is.

I love cooking with wine...sometimes I even put it in the food... fireweaver.wordpress.com
fireweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #13
Executive Chef
flat dry delicate fish. you can do anything to it, it takes all flavors well be it lemon garlic, bbq rub, curry, or terriaki. Treat it delicately as it falls apart easily. But if you place foil on the grill, you can even do it outdoors and pick up some smoke flavor. Does not hold up in stew or chowder.

as a quick easy pan fry fish with bright flavors, it is really good. No it is not Sushi grade Tuna.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #14
Cooking Links Contest Winner
Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
I agree with everyone else also, especially it is is inexpensive. And it absorbs almost any flavor... kinda like tofu- prepare it well, and it is brilliant. I like it quick-marinated in liquid smoke, or blackened seasoning, then grilled. Cooks very fast. It is also widely used in fish tacos. It is convenience food to us when I want to cook something quick. Very versatile.

Hope you find some way to prepare it that you like!
~ Shannon

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #15
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
As fireweaver said, a good way to bring out the natural flavor of tilapia is to cook it in parchment, a popular method for delicate fish that are very mild. To be honest though, I don't really like the natural flavor as it stands on its own. It's just way too mild for me.
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:55 AM   #16
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Oh wow!! Thanks for all the feedback!
And I'll try the parchment method.
-DEADLY SUSHI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:41 PM   #17
Sous Chef
And tilapia gets very high marks as a clean farmed fish. It takes well to dishes that use snapper, for example. I think it is quite delicious--better than most very delicate white fleshed fish because it is firmer. NYTimes has a great recipe today using tilapia and rhubarb as a stir fry. Can't get much more innovative than that.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #18
Head Chef
Tilapia is the perfect fish for people who don't like fish.
I am a big tilapia fan!
GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #19
Head Chef
I prefer the wild to farm variety. I think the farmed tastes a little bland and muddy.
The wild has a slight fishyness but it is really enhanced by blackening or grilling.
Like Grilllingfool states, it is a great fish for those who typically do not like fish.
Life is short.So eat great food!
Renee Attili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:47 AM   #20
I'm in the "don't care for it" crowd. But then, I also don't care for catfish or trout (except for the smoked variety). I have given it a few chances but it just isn't for me.

mercyteapot is offline   Reply With Quote