"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 03-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #31
Head Chef
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Aaaaah, Bliss, you are taking me back to my childhood! The Kettle Moraine is where some of the best fish of my life came from, and also where I learned to clean the little suckers! (some not so little! )
Chef June, I drive those hilly winding roads everyday through the Kettle Moraine from home to work.......it's a beautiful area. You can come with us on the girls night out!

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #32
Head Chef
Originally Posted by ellakav View Post
yeah, Crappie is the bomb if caught in really cold water. when I was a kid my dad would take our used Christmas trees each year in the boat and pitch them somewhere in the cove with bricks tied to them to weigh them
down. it made a nest for them and they would populate it pretty heavily
by early spring. then he'd sit out there and catch a whole mess of them,
clean them and cook them. we'd have these huge fish-frys with the
Crappie, buttermilk slaw and hush puppies. some of the best memories
of my childhood.
I agree... NOTHING beats fresh Crappie caught while ice fishing!!

Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #33
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by les View Post
Can you get trout? that's not fishy...more creamy :0)
The trout I buy in the fish market is farmed and I
don't notice anything at all fishy about its' taste -
I usually steam it whole and it is very sweet.
I don't know about creamy? - it sort of flakes off the bone.
anything that does not kill me makes me stronger
mike in brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #34
Executive Chef
Had some outstanding salmon in a Port Arthur restaurant in late July many moons ago and some great whitefish on the south shore of Lake Superior in late August.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #35
Master Chef
Smallmouth Bass is a very mild fish, as are perch, whitefish, pollock, orange roughy, smelt, and several others. Trout can be strong, depending on the size and species, and whether or not it is farmed or wild. Wild trout have a pronounced flavor, but if 12 inches or smaller, don't have that cod-liver-oil flavor common to the salmonid family when they get large. Also, preperation is a big thing. Most large fish, i.e. tuna, salmon, lake trout, mackeral, etc, have very oily flesh under the dorsal fin. The bellies contain a fair amount of the same fatty flesh. This oily flesh needs to be cut away before the fish is cooked.

As with most foods, there is no real, pat answer to your question. You just need to try different fish varieties and find out what you like and don't like, along with proper preperation of the fish type.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:23 AM   #36
Head Chef
Since I claim to not eat sea food, the only fish I will eat outside of canned Salomon and vacuumed sealed tuna. I like Haddock. It is a firm white fish with not a strong "fishy" taste. It is a northern fish and used to be cheep, now it has gotten pricey and hard to find here in southern Maryland, even frozen.

PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote