"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 11-30-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
Master Chef

A question for Vegetarians.....

I need some help here.

My grown grand daughter became a Vegetarian (not Vegan) a few years ago. In that amount of time she's gained an alarming amount of weight! My guess is that she's replaced animal protein with high caloric carbohydrates, as green vegetables sure wouldn't do that to her.

Are any Vegetarians here willing to share what a typical daily diet should sound like?

I need some expert advice and at least sound like I know what I'm talking about.

She's a wonderful young woman, and I love her to pieces. I need to think long and hard about talking to her about this at all.

Thanks in advance.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

A puzzlement, Kay. Most vegetarians I've known have been thin and wan. She probably has noticed her weight gain, I'm not sure I would mention it to her.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
A puzzlement, Kay. Most vegetarians I've known have been thin and wan. She probably has noticed her weight gain, I'm not sure I would mention it to her.
Good point Dawg, I'm not sure I will unless it should up in conversation.
My own carnivorous battle of the bulge continues.
I'd just like to be better armed and ready.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #4
Master Chef

Christmas is coming how about a vegetarian/healthy cookbook or a subscription to a vegetarian magazine. It might be a way to start a non judgmental dialogue that could continue into the new year.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
Head Chef

I have been a vegetarian for the past 25 + years ( not vegan).
I have definitely noticed a weight gain.
I blame it partially on laziness as I get older, and partially on diet.

People who are vegetarians more because of health reasons, usually pay more attention to what they are eating, calories, carbs ...

People who are vegetarians more for ethical or other reasons, don't necessarily pay attention to the health issues, as long as there is no meat in the recipes.

Although I try to watch what I put in the recipe, and keep it relatively healthy, I do consume quite a bit of carbs ( pasta, bread) and cheese.

Many non vegetarians always offer all these bean dishes and other things as options to eat ( which are great every once in awhile, which is when they eat them). But in all honesty, to eat that crap every day of the week would kill me

Earlier in the year, I cut just about all the carbs ( data, bread) out of my diet for about 1 month. I lost 7 pounds in that month, just by doing that alone. I now reintroduced it back into my diet, but I limit myself as to how many times a week I do have pasta or sandwiches.

I know its not my case, but there could be underlying medical issues which could be adding to weight gain also.

Definitely a touchy subject, especially with a woman.

Hope I helped,
Any other questions, please feel free to ask

Larry
Old 11-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
Master Chef

What a brilliant idea Bea! Thank you.

Larry, I was so hoping you'd show up!! You gave me some great insights and information. When you said..."People who are vegetarians more for ethical or other reasons, don't necessarily pay attention to the health issues, as long as there is no meat in the recipes." the light bulb went on here. That's her.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

You're a brave woman Kay. I see my daughter having the same problem since her chemo ended. But I don't dare say anything. I am sure she is aware of her massive weight gain. But I have yet to find a way to approach the subject. Good luck and you are a good grandmother to notice and care.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

How old is she? Does she know how to cook?

I agree with Larry that some vegetarians, especially young people, don't necessarily think about balanced nutrition. They sometimes think that just cutting out animal products is all they need to do to be healthy, and end up eating bread and fries.

Aunt Bea's suggestion issue a good one. Maybe at some point, you could suggest that you and she cook together and you could teach her a few things.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
What a brilliant idea Bea! Thank you.

Larry, I was so hoping you'd show up!! You gave me some great insights and information. When you said..."People who are vegetarians more for ethical or other reasons, don't necessarily pay attention to the health issues, as long as there is no meat in the recipes." the light bulb went on here. That's her.
Glad I can help in any way.

fortunately ( and unfortunately) Bread and pasta taste soon good.
Once you gut that out, we're extremely limited ( when it comes to finding things that taste good and are satisfying).

Many vegetarian things that ' meat eaters' eat, are great, but become very boring and routine after awhile.

Most ' meat substitutes' are pre flavored , so unlike meat where you can marinate them or use different sauces ...., with a pre flavored item, we're limited with what we can do with it.

Also, meat substitutes don't have the same physical cooking properties as meat products do ( fat content, ability to bind ...) therefore, when put on a grill, they burn or dry up much quicker, and trying to make a meatball or meatloaf is near impossible without adding eggs, cheese , bread crumbs ...

As mentioned earlier, for me, just planning my weekly meals by limiting the pasta days and sandwich ( bread) days, has helped without any extra physical effort. Now if I can just get my lazy butt off the couch, id make even more progress
Old 11-30-2015, 10:55 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

For what it's worth, I found out this year that Oreos are vegan. Just sayin. :) If she's vegetarian, introduce her to the Mediterranean diet-- it's the (so they say) healthiest food on the planet.

I did that a couple of New Years' ago. I wanted to introduce the food to the kids, so I made a huge buffet of all our favorites for NYE (our annual Cards Against Humanity game night with all the 20-somethings). Just a thought....

Tags
vegetarian