"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Help plan backyard bash

I have been asked to help throw a backyard b-day bash for a friend and could use some ideas.

The bash would be in someone elses yard - not mine and there would be limited prep time. It's for one of those 'important' b-days that ends in 0

About 80 folks have been invited and they are coming around dinner time so either heavy munchies or some sort of buffet/dinner.

There is a kitchen available and a Weber gas grill in the yard as well as tables and chairs. The aim here is easy AND nice; there are respectable folks coming..

Any menu ideas?

Old 05-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Burgers are easy, and you can set up a toppings bar for people to build their own burger. Potato salad can be made the day before (and taste better than fresh).

Fajitas or tacos are good for "build your own," too. Rent a Margarita machine for fun adult beverages.

That's just a couple ideas.

CD

Old 05-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
Master Chef

You can make salads and sides ahead of time and then cook the meat just before you eat..so, whatever you decide this will make it easy for you
Rocklobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

also rent a nachos machine...

That along with a margarita machine is always a hit. My daughter has had them on several occasions for her big backyard parties...
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
Master Chef

I would do a traditional backyard cookout with the best hot dogs, burgers, and rolls available in your area.

Lemonade with or without and iced tea.

Add a short buffet line of condiments, salads, baked beans, chips and dips.

Finish with an ice cold watermelon, brownies, lemon bars, oatmeal cookies, ice cream cones or bars, etc...

Maybe even some marshmallows for toasting or some upscale smores for dessert!

Make sure that grill has a fresh tank of propane!!!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Thanks for the ideas. This will be an entirely adult crowd and the Marquita machine sounds like a great idea - I didn't know that this even existed :)

I'm thinking burgers will be too casual but need it to be as simple as burgers. Maybe something like spiral cut hams and turkey breast on rolls with fixins and sides?

Skewered things with sides?
Old 05-07-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
Master Chef

Pulled pork sliders on Kings Hawaiian rolls are usually a hit at outdoor parties, and they're easy on the cook. Maybe a vinaigrette based pasta salad for one of the sides...?

We were posting at the same time...although I was slow. A spiral cut ham sounds great!
Old 05-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Cooks Country just did an episode on BBQ baked beans that looks outstanding. That's something you can/must make ahead and just reheat for service.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:46 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Thanks for the ideas. This will be an entirely adult crowd and the Marquita machine sounds like a great idea - I didn't know that this even existed :)

I'm thinking burgers will be too casual but need it to be as simple as burgers. Maybe something like spiral cut hams and turkey breast on rolls with fixins and sides?

Skewered things with sides?
Margarita machines can be rented, and delivered to your party location and set up. You add the ingredients and tequila, and they pretty much take care of them selves. They come and pick up the machine a day or two after the party.

Check out Mexican restaurants that have catering. They will probably rent margarita machines. Some good liquor stores have them to rent, too.

I've rented them, and they have always been a big hit with guests.

CD

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	serveimage.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	29960  
Old 05-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Pulled pork sliders on Kings Hawaiian rolls are usually a hit at outdoor parties, and they're easy on the cook. Maybe a vinaigrette based pasta salad for one of the sides...?

We were posting at the same time...although I was slow. A spiral cut ham sounds great!
+1.

You can make pulled pork in the days preceeding, or even the night before in crock pots. Once they're cooled and shredded, all you have to do the day of the party is add bbq sauce while packing it into aluminum serving trays and reheat in an oven. And who doesn't love King's rolls?
We also almost have either a pasta salad (elbow mac, diced trinity, mayo, optional canned tuna stired in), or a baked ziti; another make-ahead dish thst you can re-heat with the pulled pork.

Pre-mixed, bagged leafy salads are always easy to append with with whole grape tomatoes and sugar snap peas, and things like sesame seeds, walnuts, and dried cranberries.
I mention whole veggies because the leftovers last longer with unsliced veggies.