"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 02-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Nice to see ya!

Your question brings so many more questions to mind!

Does it need to be made in advance? Maybe a seafood lasagna or maybe stuffed shells.

Do you know all of the people well enough to pick one dish? Maybe one pasta with a choice of two sauces.

Can it be done at the last minute? Maybe angel hair with shrimp, asparagus or snow peas and cherry tomatoes.

Once you decide on the pasta I would go with a basic green salad and warm crispy Italian bread or rolls. For dessert I would go with a simple scoop of ice cream and a crunchy cookie or a small serving of biscuit tortoni.

If it's a buffet maybe a choice of two pasta dishes,roasted chicken pieces and a salad bar with rolls.

Good luck!
Yes, I will probably be making it the same day right before dinner. I thought it would be a good idea to do two type of pasta dishes also. Maybe a chicken and beef. I don't deal with seafood so won't be that, lol.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
We had our last night's dinner at a wedding dinner once, penne alla vodka. I think we had a salad to go with and there was some kind of garlic bread. There was another pasta dish as well, probably something vegetarian with eggplant as I think that's what Craig had since he really likes eggplant.

I'd serve at least 2 pastas, with 1 being a vegetarian option unless you know for a fact that none of the guests are vegetarian. In fact, I'd probably go for 3 make-ahead pasta dishes, with 1 being vegetarian and the other 2 with pork, beef or chicken. Personally, I'd stay away from seafood since it has the potential of going bad quickly and also a lot of people have allergies or quirks about eating seafood, not to mention the expense of it.

Maybe you could tell us a bit more, like if it's going to be a buffet or table service, whether all dishes need to be pre-made, budget, whether you need an appetizer, dessert, etc.

Yes it will be buffet style. The wedding party has about 30 to 35 people.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Whatever pasta you decide, remember, sauces flavored with oregano, basil, rosemary, etc. must be seasoned just before serving, as the aromatics of those herbs will give up their flavors to the air, or, in other words, evaporate out, leaving you with a bland sauce.

Of course if the pasta is tossed with olive oil, and freshly cut herbs and spices just before serving, it tends to be flavorful, and perceived as lighter, and even healthier food. Add sun-dried tomato and some sliced olives to add more layers of flavor.

I agree that though wonderful in flavor, seafood should be avoided due to expense.

Choose pasta shapes that sauces will stick to. Rigatonie, ziti, bowties, and anything with ridges on the outside work well.

Good luck. Have fun.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Yea that's what I had in mind to keep it kind of light. I know I will do a tomato base with beef and a chicken with a light sauce. Keep the salad simple as mentioned and Italian and or garlic bread.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #14
Master Chef

Hi Niki! Waving too!

You've got some great ideas there but because I'm so nosy, who are the bride and groom?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
This sounds good. I will definetly be trying this... thank you.
This, too, can be made a day ahead. Just use more sauce when you mix it to allow for liquids being absorbed the day before.

And yes, like Kayelle, I'm nosy too. Will you let us know who the happy couple is?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
This, too, can be made a day ahead. Just use more sauce when you mix it to allow for liquids being absorbed the day before.

And yes, like Kayelle, I'm nosy too. Will you let us know who the happy couple is?

Yes I will lol... I will post pics of the rehearsal dinner. This is my nieces wedding. She's a couple of years older than I but we are more like sisters.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 02-28-2015, 01:02 AM   #17
Master Chef

It's wonderful you'll be hosting the rehearsal dinner Niki. That's so much nicer than having it at a restaurant and I'm sure your gift of love will always be remembered. There's nothing better than a family celebration of love.
Keep us posted how it went, ok?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It's wonderful you'll be hosting the rehearsal dinner Niki. That's so much nicer than having it at a restaurant and I'm sure your gift of love will always be remembered. There's nothing better than a family celebration of love.
Keep us posted how it went, ok?

Will do...

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Tags
menu, party