Monthy Menu help, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw the home made mix and that is fine, yeah I can have tamarind paste and lemon grass, but not kaffir lime leafs. I do have a huge lemon verbena on the balcony.

I will try to make green curry paste! See now I have mission, made that will make me cook again.

My doctor is fantastic and he thinks I can do it on my own due to my great support net around me, so that is what I am doing and since I am free medcare, I see him once a week. It just I need to kick start this spark again.

I saw the home made mix and that is fine, yeah I can have tamarind paste and lemon grass, but not kaffir lime leafs. I do have a huge lemon verbena on the balcony.

I will try to make green curry paste! See now I have mission, made that will make me cook again.

My doctor is fantastic and he thinks I can do it on my own due to my great support net around me, so that is what I am doing and since I am free medcare, I see him once a week. It just I need to kick start this spark again.

There you go! Thai red curry is another possibility, to change things up a little. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/thai-red-curry-paste-109465

Very nice and helpful collection of recipes you posted, GG, thanks!

Hey CakePoet, so.. I am seeing a lot of great meat and vegetable preparations with rice and all, and I am 2 thousand percent with you on cooking as a help with depression, got that, been there, got the t-shirt.

So how about baking?

To bake bread you need four things, flour, water, salt and yeast.

and let me tell you, it is very satisfying to bake your own bread

So I'd add a pizza to your repertoire above. You can top a pizza with anything you have (great way to use leftovers), to make a pizza you need to make dough. I am gonna share with you my Super Sekret dough recipe, so long as you don't go sharing it about and posting it on internet forums and stuff. I like it because it is simple.

1 cup water
1 tsp salt
3.5 cups flour (14.8 oz if you use a scale)
1 1/2 oz fresh yeast or a packet of instant

That is it.

It will make a dough, and you can go from there, but that will make a good bread dough, and more important, if you can roll it out, a pizza crust.

throw some toppings on that, some sauce, a little cheese, and you are in Pizza town.

Bread is not a problem, I have to bake it due to my sensitive tummy, there only one bread from the store I can eat often and that is that horrible white spongy bread.

So I bake my own, there is a carrot loaf rising in the kitchen at the moment. And yes, pizza will be made, it is requested. I am going for a pesto goat cheese one and the other wants ham, cheese and tomato.

Thanks Got Garlic, I realized that I might not be able to get everything for the currypaste at the moment, but I have a friend coming over in end of September maybe end of October from a larger town and I know I can get it all then.

Thanks Got Garlic, I realized that I might not be able to get everything for the currypaste at the moment, but I have a friend coming over in end of September maybe end of October from a larger town and I know I can get it all then.

Sounds good!

I thought of a few more things. Can you tell I like to think about food? ;)

Btw, do you have an outdoor grill, or a grill pan for the stovetop? Or do you cook things under the broiler (in the United States)/grill (in the UK) in the oven? Just curious what you have available.

Anyway, http://www.seriouseats.com is one of my favorite sites for cooking ideas. The writing is fun and the recipes are great. Here are some you might like:

- Chicken - you can use these seasoning ideas and just sauté or broil/grill them: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-grilled-chicken-world-tour.html

- Lots of pork ideas. Just choose any that appeal to you and skip any with citrus ;) Or try replacing it with a fruit vinegar. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/24-pork-recipes-for-your-memorial-day-grill.html

- You could make extra veggies and make a soup with them the next day. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/11/rack-of-pork-loin-roast-recipe.html

- One of my favorite soups. I add a bone-in, skin-on chicken breast. When it's cooked, remove the skin and bones, shred the meat and add back to heat through. https://food52.com/recipes/4661-smoky-minestrone-with-tortellini-and-parsley-or-basil-pesto

You live in Sweden - please tell me y like salmon ;)

Sheet-pan dinners are becoming a thing, where everything goes on a sheet pan and cooks together. I'm going to start doing these more when the weather cools down, but here's one I saved. It would also work well with pork chops or chicken breasts cut lengthwise into cutlets.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2016/08/roasted-asian-salmon-and-green-beans.html

And hey DC low-carb friends - this is an easy low-carb meal! The author has been doing South Beach Diet recipes for many years.

I have a bog standard electric oven, it has grill settings but no fan setting. I have a indoor rotisserie grill for kebabs ( looks like a torture implement), a panini grill and a crock pot. I have no chance of grilling this year, still a ban due to dry summer even if it rained for a few days, it isnt enough.

I done the Peruvian chicken before!

I loved food too, I have 200+ cookbooks and no will to cook, but I am actually looking forward to the month to come foodwise now.

And we do love salmon, it just that at the moment, that is too expensive however if I get a good deal, I will add that in. I buy fish at the fish monger not the weird frozen pieces I can find in my price range. I was pondering to make fish and chips.

I love fish and chips, but I don't love deep-frying ;) Another way to make crispy fish is to dredge it in heavily seasoned flour and pan-fry. Any mild white fish will work. Season with salt and pepper, dried basil and a little cayenne. Or any number of other seasonings.

I kind of collect Penzeys seasoning blends ;) I don't imagine you can get them there, but you can look at the blend ingredients and get ideas for making your own.
http://penzeys.com

I have had great success with dipping chicken strips in plain yogurt, then shaking them in a ziplock bag of seasoned panko bread crumbs. Then I bake them on a sheet pan. Nice and crunchy. Mix up some honey mustard for dipping.

Might work for fish as well.

Oh I do not like deep fried stuff, dislikes most fries but that is one of the few things my tummy do like. So I do a lovely beer butter wolf fish with fries or roasties and enjoy it.

Oh I seen the Penzey, up at the weird store, it has a lot of candy and foreign stuff, I think they had Mural spice, Chicago and fox point. I think I should go there again.

Dawg, that reminds me of the nacho chicken I used to do, I think I put that on the list.

Oh I do not like deep fried stuff, dislikes most fries but that is one of the few things my tummy do like. So I do a lovely beer butter wolf fish with fries or roasties and enjoy it.

Oh I seen the Penzey, up at the weird store, it has a lot of candy and foreign stuff, I think they had Mural spice, Chicago and fox point. I think I should go there again.

Dawg, that reminds me of the nacho chicken I used to do, I think I put that on the list.

The weird store? :ROFLMAO: Funny. Yes, Mural of Flavor and Fox Point are two of my favorite seasonings! Sprinkle them on fish, chicken or pork and pan-fry. Fox Point is great on roasted potatoes, too.

CP, get on Penzey's website. Not only do they have great spices and blends, they also have some nice recipes. I too love Mural and Fox Point. And like GG, I have quite a collection of their other stuff.

Last edited:
yeah the weird store, it sort of candy and American/ British/ Aussie / Canadian food and mixed with stuff from Balkan from time to time and in the back, there is special deals of clothes, diapers and God knows what.

I have a look, I have two chicken dishes left to find, thanks to you all I did find stuff to make.

Sounds like a fun store! If you have a chance, Canadian candy is to die for. Grab some McIntosh toffee, Coffee Crisp and Aero chocolate bars.

I have had those, but that is due to husband being British. Is there any different between Uk version and CA?

Not sure. I didn't eat candy when I was in UK many eons ago, but it might be similar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom