"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Tips on meal plan for the elderly please!

Hey there everyone, I'm new to the forum so first of all I'd just like to say hi!

Now that that is out of the way I just found out yesterday that my great-grandmother (102 years old!) has been eating frozen snicker's bars for lunch. The nutritional value of the meals in that household is just rubbish and I really want to help them out. My G-Grandma lives with her daughter and son. My Grand-Uncle is just riddled with health problems and my grandmother is basically the caretaker of everyone.

So my question is, does anyone have any tips for me? Ideally, I'd like to drive up there once a week, prepare a week's worth of meals (at the very least dinners) and put them in the freezer. I just don't know what sorts of meals freeze well and I'm not used to cooking for people with diminished taste buds.

Help!

Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Thick soups and stews freeze well. Pancakes. More importantly perhaps you should contact an organization like meals on wheels.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

What are their health restrictions? Are they diabetic, have heart problems? Can they still chew and swallow without problems?

I know, anything but candy bars would be better, but you should get them the healthiest meals they can have.

I agree with soups and stews and a call to Meals on Wheels should be done.

Anything you can cook will undoubtedly be better than what they are used to.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I'd have to get in touch with my Uncle for his rather lengthy medical history. I know he's had heart problems in the past and he is epileptic but beyond that I'm not sure. The three of them are all fully mobile, can chew and swallow, and none of them are diabetic.

I've just done some poking around on the Meals on Wheels site, and I'm thinking that I'd still rather just cook for them myself.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Then it looks like you can cook whatever you would normally cook, unless your Uncle should be on low sodium or low fat.

I would set up individual meals for them, like TV dinners, only using homemade foods. By doubling your regular meals you would be able to set them up daily, freeze and deliver. Do they have a microwave they can heat them up in?

And don't forget desserts for them, our elders love their desserts.

And be sure to ask them what they would like to eat...
Old 04-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #6
Master Chef

I agree with PF on calling the local Meals on Wheels, they are a great organization! They offer several diet options, the food is not bad and it provides an extra set of unbiased eyes everyday to sort of do a reality check on the household.

If you are going with frozen food I like Italian dishes like lasagna or stuffed shells. Also if you are going once a week then some fresh ready made items for the first two or three days could be worked into the mix and rely on frozen items for the end of the week.

Most importantly, to me, is if Great Grandma is in good mental shape and she chooses to eat frozen Snickers bars for lunch then let her enjoy them!

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Head Chef

If I make it to 102, I am going to have candy for lunch every day. And maybe for breakfast and dinner, too! And ice cream, and bread, and popcorn and all those things I am avoiding now in order to have a nice long life!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! I have elderly parents in MN, and live 1400 miles away. I tried arranging Meals-on-Wheels--my father won't eat them. So, I go to MN about 2-3 x per year. I spend 3-4 weeks each time. I cook when I'm there. Soups--definitely--lower sodium, easy to make several varieties from homemade stock. Beef stroganoff, meatballs, chicken pot pies (can't wait to bring my pie maker bake in June and make a bunch of pot pies), small pizzas, spaghetti sauce, lasagne. Since your great-grandmother lives alone, single servings would be best. Soup is easy. Some baking powder biscuits...waffles that can be popped in the toaster, muffins. Good luck. I often go back and the food I've left in the freezer (and that my cousin has augmented in between my visits) is still in the freezer.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
If I make it to 102, I am going to have candy for lunch every day. And maybe for breakfast and dinner, too! And ice cream, and bread, and popcorn and all those things I am avoiding now in order to have a nice long life!
At that age, who cares! A friend's mom started smoking again at 87 (now 90). Figured that it didn't matter anymore.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

What I've learned to do with my parents, is put together a monthy menu that includes what they need to buy to go with the main dish, when to take it out of the freezer, and how to cook it. For the most part, they stick with the menu for the first two weeks after I leave. After that, well, it's a crap shoot. I also call my parents daily to discuss what to take out of the freezer, etc.

Tags
tips