What do you cook when you feel washed out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember you saying many times that you don't like bread...? Guess it's an emergency type meal in a pinch. ;):)

I cut off all the crusts on any bread I use. When it is white bread, that leaves very little bread. I also have the bad habit of trying to push back the bread and eat the inside only. By the time I get through, all I usually have left in the small piece of bread I am holding it by. When I use a sauce of any kind, I have enough sauce to make the bread turn into mush. And the sauce covers up the taste of the bread. The only bread I can say I like without hesitation is rye bread. But I still cut off all the crusts.

One day Pirate was watching me eat a bean sandwich. He asked me why I make it a sandwich when I take off the top piece of bread and scraped all the beans off. And I leave the bottom piece behind.

Even though Pirate loves bread, it has been at least three weeks since I bought the last loaf for him. And it will probably be three weeks before I buy another loaf.

When I feel bleh and not wanting to cook... I don't even want to wait or defrost. I just stand in front of the fridge waiting for something to jump into my hand. It is important to leave the fridge door open long enough to warm up the food and then it doesn't take so long in the micro.

I will zap a frozen hot dog and grab a chunk of cheese or two... or three... or four... and then finally throw out the empty wrapper.

I used to try to keep a can of Baked Beans in the cupboard for emergencies. The emergency always happens about the 2nd day when it calls my name and I stand in front of the sink with an open can and a spoon. So I don't keep them in the house anymore :rolleyes:

Our go to is a hot dog... We always have wieners and buns in the freezer, mustard, mayo and relish in the fridge and an onion handy..

Because of our love for hot dogs, I try to not be too lazy or washed out to cook, too often..

Ross

My fall-back is salmon fillets. If not that, it is chicken breasts. We live too far away for take-out or delivery. I usually thaw the salmon (takes about 15 minutes), pat them dry, rub with Dijon mustard, lemon or lime juice, salt and pepper. Put them under the broiler for 6 minutes, flip, cook for another 6 minutes and dot with butter and lemon/lime juice when serving. Side of green veggie and wild rice or mashed potatoes. Side salad for my Dad, fruit for my Mom. Or, I rub with mustard and then sprinkle with Tamari sauce and some garlic paste.

Last edited:
My fall-back is salmon fillets. If not that, it is chicken breasts. We live too far away for take-out or delivery. I usually thaw the salmon (takes about 15 minutes), pat them dry, rub with Dijon mustard, lemon or lime juice, salt and pepper. Put them under the broiler for 6 minutes, flip, cook for another 6 minutes and dot with butter and lemon/lime juice when serving. Side of green veggie and wild rice or mashed potatoes. Side salad for my Dad, fruit for my Mom. Or, I rub with mustard and then sprinkle with Tamari sauce and some garlic paste.

I would just like to express my enjoyment reading your posts about the variety of dishes you prepare for your mom and dad... :)

Ross

I'm with you on the fast food thing, tenspeed. In our house it's "fast food is the last food". Although, truth be told, I do like to make a stop at a Chick-fil-a when we go on vacation.

MY problem with going to "fry up an egg" is that it becomes an adventure similar to If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. I'll get the bread from the bread box for toasting, and the eggs from the fridge. But when I get the eggs I'll see the mushrooms...which need a quick wash and chop. If I open the "long drawer" for tortillas I'll see the blocks of cheese...which need grating once we agree on a cheese. And on and on and on... It seems like EVERY meal I make, no matter how simple my plan may be, turns into a production. :wacko: Except leftovers. I can usually just heat-and-eat and be happy.
This usually my problem too. I once was going to do just hot dogs on the grill. Went to the store, bought a 5 dollar pack of cheap dogs, then needed buns, then fancy mustard, then... Ended up being a 30 dollar hot dog meal. 25 dollars in "stuff" to add to my 20 for 5 dollar hot dogs.

It was good, but I really only wanted hot dogs and relish to start.

Your skin must take on such a yellow tint after rubbing wih mustard. After rubbing with garlic paste, the moquitoes must keep there distance. Good strategy.:LOL:
Myself, I rub with soap and hot water.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Your skin must take on such a yellow tint after rubbing wih mustard. After rubbing with garlic paste, the moquitoes must keep there distance. Good strategy.:LOL:
Myself, I rub with soap and hot water.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've been using the garlic paste for years and I can't remember the last time I got a mosquito or tick bite.
Soap and water? No wonder you get bit. :LOL:

Hay & Straw !

There are times when we all feel too tired to cook. My staple quick meal standby is 'hay and straw' tagliatelle with butter, parmesan, black pepper and sage. It's quick and easy, and my OH loves it. What are your fall-backs? I'd love to know!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Definitely an amazingly lovely quick pasta dish !

I do Tapas at the Corner classic Bar, 50 metres from the apartment. I like Canapès, fresh cod in Romesçu, Squid with Ali Oli on side, Fried Calamari and Russian Salad, a tuna, potato, carrot & vegetable salad served with canapè, slices of bread.

If, home, I too, do a quick Pasta or Tuna Salad ..

Thanks for posting. Have a lovely weekend ..

There are times when we all feel too tired to cook. My staple quick meal standby is 'hay and straw' tagliatelle with butter, parmesan, black pepper and sage. It's quick and easy, and my OH loves it. What are your fall-backs? I'd love to know!

di reston

What is it?

'Hay and straw' tagliatelle are simply plain egg tagliatelle (Straw) and spinach tagiatelle, which are green (straw) I usually buy fresh made from the pasta shop and freeze them. They sell them already mixed. The way of serving them, with butter, freshly grated parmesan, black pepper and sage finish the dish. Easy as winking - and almost as quick!

di reston

di, when I don't feel like cooking and cleaning up,
I go freezer diving.
I mean to say that I always have some sort of dish that I've made
previously and I ALWAYS make too much.
So I divvy it up into portion sizes, package it up in a freezer bag,
squeeze out most of the air (or I use my Food Saver).
kalua-pig-packages.jpg
The other night I just plain didn't feel like making dinner, so I did a quick defrost of a package of my Kalua Pig, chopped up some green Cabbage and Sweet White Onions, a jiffy saute and Bob's your Uncle, DONE!
I keep it to a one pot supper and the pot goes into the oven (out of sight) til morning and I do a wash up after breakfast.

Well, I can't believe what the majority of you go to when you feel "washed out"! For me, even boiling water for pasta is too much work... too much thinking... salt, don't over cook, watch the time, sauce, which?, cheese, grate..

nope that's all too much, although di, yours sure sound delish and I'm going to have to try it.

I grab some crackers and any cheese, a knife and a small cutting board. And of course, some wine. Sometimes I will also grab a chutney - if it's at the front of the fridge - and a small spoon. Then I choose a slightly bigger cutting board. :)

I do admit I sometimes grab a freezer meal, but only if it can go straight into the oven, come out and be dumped on a plate and eaten - never if there has to be anything else done with it. Only sometimes those freezer meals take a good 40 minutes in the oven. Can I wait that long? do I really want to eat that late? Ahh, then it's back to cheese and crackers it is.

I would just like to express my enjoyment reading your posts about the variety of dishes you prepare for your mom and dad... :)

Ross
Thanks--I try to provide variety within the scope of my Dad's limited palette and what my Mom will eat--finger food (and stuff she can digest--I'm just glad she gained some the weight back she had lost from when she was in hospital and before I got here). This has been a cooking challenge for me. It has also been an emotional challenge coping with this without my deceased brother.

I made wild rice turkey soup this week but for my Mom, I strained it so she could just drink the broth. Soup is hard for her to eat, but if I strain it and put it in a glass she can hold, she can drink that. Dad, on the other hand, wants the veggies and wild rice.

Not to diss long-term care facilities, but I know my Mom is getting better meals here than she would in care.

I feel washed out all the time! But I seem to lean more toward comfort foods. The trouble is most comfort foods don't fit into the guidelines in my signature. So I improvise. Common items are soup, chicken strips with baked wedges, sandwiches, stir-fry veggies, rice noodles, etc.

oh i hear that! but this reminds me. So I found some gluten free (soba based) ramen noodles. So I guess that's a go-to, but I need to have more with it. I'm usually too lazy to toast sesame seeds, but that's a good option. Oh! Actually, I got the tahini, so in that goes, but it's pretty bleh! by itself. Other times, when I have them, I'll throw in some edamame.

And yes, beans in general are a good quick meal. Canned beans, just dump them into a pot and simmer till warm. Add red chilli powder, pinch of salt (beans are usually no-salt added) and maybe a few other spices, but the salt and chilli are enough. And voila!

Tuna sandwiches used to be good, but I don't eat the regular bread and the GF stuff is usually frozen which takes too much time. :P Although, my version of PB&J or just J toast has been used lately. Defrost/toast bread on the frying pan and spread the tahini on one side and jelly on the other. As said before, this is where the tahini flavor is not so great...so another option is to fry up an egg.

(was supposed to use tuna to seque into the next part. oops! :P)

yeah, salmon or tilapia pan fried with cajun spice or just a mix of spices, with side of rice or greens is an easy meal too. Actually, mashed taters sound so good right now. Thinking we're gonna have to get the local ones (so tasty) and then I'll make my special gravy here pretty soon. Hubby started asking again. I know he loves this one. :)

di, when I don't feel like cooking and cleaning up,
I go freezer diving.
I mean to say that I always have some sort of dish that I've made
previously and I ALWAYS make too much.

didn't quote the whole thing, but this is a great idea! I've actually wanted to do this, but the problem is, we usually don't have any extra when I cook! lol There is one dish that I don't really know how to make, but hubby wants and knows and this one is usually prepared in bulk. So might be doing that soon. We will see. He obviously needs to be there and it's not always easy coordinating the time. hehe

Most times when I don't feel like cooking, I will do a quick cucumber and tomato mix and a sandwich. Or rolled up lunch meat in Bibb lettuce leaves and a cucumber with a package of nabs. Cereal makes my blood sugar go up too much.

Mac and cheese on top of the stove. Cook the macaroni in the milk, when it is done add cheese and any other stuff you want. Compliments of ATK. Fast and easy.

Back
Top Bottom