What would you have done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha! I understand completely!

I remember having "off" days, where perhaps a tray of glass-ware would somehow take a dive onto the floor from my grasp, and devil-clones seemed to occupy every table I had. I once had a customer abruptly back his chair from the table and into me while I had a serving tray with 8 plates of food held high above. The tray went into the middle of his table loudly, and I went on my butt in the aisle. No one was happy about that exchange, and they had the compassion to leave me a great tip.

I recently went to "Outback Steak House" and the couple behind my table ABUSED the poor young lady who was also my server. It was the worst example of server abuse I've ever witnessed and I went to the manager and explained it to him. He replaced the server himself, got the same abuse and ended up insisting that the couple leave. I was proud of him!

If true effort is applied and even a tiny amount of "Above and Beyond" service is received, I tip a minimum of 20%.

I had an African man as a customer once that kept making rude sexual remarks and pouring his beer on the table for me to wipe up, I was just 17 at the time. I just carried on being polite and smiling until he actually touched my bum. I told him where he could go and shove his behaviour and said some awful things then stormed into my bosses office. I told her what happened and that I'll be leaving since she's probably going to sack me anyway but instead she went over to his table and told him that if he ever showed his face in her restaurant again she'll have him forcefully removed!
I was really grateful for this since I needed the job to pay for my studies.
Thank goodness she was a good woman :)

Timid and meek as I am...once I stood up and waved a $20 bill in the air, yelling out, "Does anyone work here?" The restaurant had become a desert as soon as we were seated.

PrincessFiona60 said:
My favorite is "Two fries short of a Happy meal."

Lol!

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer,not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, one brick short of a load, has a screw loose, not the sharpest pencil in the box, dumb as a post.

All psychological terms.

Last edited:
Yes you did the right thing, and don't think you should have any qualms about it. Albeit that's apocryphal that "TIP" is an acronym for "to insure promptness" it's still come to mean something that is left for "service", and as you didn't get any...QED.

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer,not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, one brick short of a load, has a screw loose, not the sharpest pencil in the box, dumb as a post.

A mind like a box of rocks, dumb as a piece of burnt firewood, Elevator doesn't make it to the top floor, two cans short of a six pack...:LOL:

I love all of those, but I love the combos best. (Brightest lightbulb in the lamp + sharpest pencil in the box = brightest pencil in the box!) My youngest coined one a while ago and we all adopted it...of course now that I've laughed so hard at this one I can't think of the one she put together!

Lol!

All psychological terms.

Or sharpest tool in the shed..lol!
My favourite is "you're a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic"

A few ants short of a picnic
Elevator doesn't go to the top floor
Few bricks short of a load

The only thing I would have done differently is; If I'm already at the hostess stand asking for my check, that's where I take care of it and walk out the door.

i agree with tim, if they aren't paid enough to enough for their needs , then choose to give lousy service, they need to find another job. i usually will inform the manager.

another bad service scene is checking out at a store.the cashier makes no eye contact with me and is talking to another buddy. i speak up . i tell them that i am the one with the money. if they make a bad impression i will not shop at that store. then the store will lay off people when sales aren't good. and they won't have a job at all.

i managed in retail for many years. in training new employees i would tell them, nothing (short of a fire or a hold-up) is more important than the customer in front of them. on the other hand, i always stood up for an employee if the customer was just being mean to them. sometimes when i speak up and give the lecture the people with me are embrassed.we have become people that allow bad service to flourish, because we don't speak up.

so guess i am an old meanie, as well as tim.

I never allow abuse, no matter which side of the counter I am standing. I've even kicked family members off my unit if they are abusing my staff or their "loved one."

i agree with tim, if they aren't paid enough to enough for their needs , then choose to give lousy service, they need to find another job. i usually will inform the manager.

another bad service scene is checking out at a store.the cashier makes no eye contact with me and is talking to another buddy. i speak up . i tell them that i am the one with the money.

so guess i am an old meanie, as well as tim.

You, you, you, you old meanie! Big ole meanie! :ROFLMAO:

Almost 40 years ago I was a young waitress. In those days our paychecks were next to nothing so we knew better than to give poor service. But in those days when a customer recieved poor service they would leave a one penny tip. This told the waitress that she had done a poor job and left no doubt that she was not being stiffed by a customer who is just too cheap to tip. But I doubt that today a server would have any idea what it means.

Back
Top Bottom