"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #51
Senior Cook

i just topped off my peanut butter reserves, better stock up before prices go through the roof.

we are entering a possible hyper-inflation scenario where a loaf of bread will be $10 as well as a gallon of gas.

for me im ready for prices to go hyper, i have a good 3 years supply of food on hand as well as a nice garden for veggies.

whenever i see something cheap i stack it deep, im just now running out of $1 a jar mayonaise and im on the hunt for some on the cheap.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
i just topped off my peanut butter reserves, better stock up before prices go through the roof.

we are entering a possible hyper-inflation scenario where a loaf of bread will be $10 as well as a gallon of gas.

for me im ready for prices to go hyper, i have a good 3 years supply of food on hand as well as a nice garden for veggies.

whenever i see something cheap i stack it deep, im just now running out of $1 a jar mayonaise and im on the hunt for some on the cheap.
I hear ya, 97guns! I love my Pantry! I don't have the stockpile you do, but I could last an easy 3 months on what I have on hand right now.

We'll see if our lazy leaders get off their collective butts and start earning all that money they make. I think things might start looking better next year. Nothing like an election to get them to actually DO something!

Old 11-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

i don't know about $10 bread ($4 is too high imo), but i just read an article that said food prices are up %13 to %15 from last year for thanksgiving type stuff. biggest one year jump in a long time.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #54
Head Chef

I sincerely doubt that we will see bread at $10.00 a loaf any time soon, especially with an election coming up (the politicians would subsidize the price until after the election). But I do stock up in the fall when the stores have their harvest sales or when ever there is an especially good price on something. It's called being a good steward. If I am asked to donate a meal or if unexpected company drops by, or even if sudden expenses result in less money to buy groceries I don't worry, I know I can always put something together. It only makes sense.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #55
Master Chef

Hoarding food (or anything) is symptomatic of a mental condition that deserves treatment.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #56
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I sincerely doubt that we will see bread at $10.00 a loaf any time soon, especially with an election coming up (the politicians would subsidize the price until after the election). But I do stock up in the fall when the stores have their harvest sales or when ever there is an especially good price on something. It's called being a good steward. If I am asked to donate a meal or if unexpected company drops by, or even if sudden expenses result in less money to buy groceries I don't worry, I know I can always put something together. It only makes sense.

That is what I do. Last year when I knew that I was going to be laid off I stocked up on canned SALT FREE veggies and broth. Along with rice, dried and canned beans, sugar, flour ect. IMHO it its just an intelligent thing to do.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:44 AM   #57
Master Chef

I tend to shop the dips and maintain a small supply of items to get me from one sale to the next.

Some of the posts remind me of when I was little. We lived on a farm and in the fall we stored produce for the winter. People tend to think that farmers always have the best of everything but that is not true. We were always sorting produce and using the items that were about to spoil.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #58
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post

have you guys bought peanut butter lately?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2cook11 View Post
My stockpile was about one of these shelf units, before I moved to temporary quarters (between houses).

I don't hoard, and it doesn't have anything to do savings or prices or inflation. I just don't like running out of things and I hate to buy one bottle or one can of something. It makes my shopping list longer and takes more time to find each item at the store. I like to get several of any item I repeatedly use, and then I can just go to my stockpile when I need that instead of driving to the market. When I get low I make a note to pick up several more on my next shopping trip.

That changes the character of my market trips to buying fresh or fish and fresh vegetables. The rest of the stuff is already in my stock and my market trips are brief. I guess I stockpile for convenience and to save time.

By the way, I use a first in first out (FIFO) system. When I purchase items having a shelf life I write the month and year on the bottle, box or can (e.g. 0112 for Jan 2012) using a permanent marker, and then put the new items at the back of the shelf. This ensures that the oldest inventory gets used first.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

greg, have you ever checked the expiration dates on all of that stuff?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
food