Any simple recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK.. how about this..
We will skip making home made mashed potatoes. Get a foil packet of Idahoan Instant mashed potatoes. You can cook them in the microwave. That takes care of the potatoes..

Lets cook... Cubed Steak and make gravy!!! Don't fret... it's not hard.
Buy a small package of Cubed Steak(looks like a small waffle pattern on meat). You will also need some milk.

Take a plastic bag and dump in a cup of flour. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper. Take the cubed steak out of the package, drop in the bag and shake to cover with the flour mixture.

Heat some oil(1/4 cup) in a skillet. when its hot..but not smoking, drop the meat in. Allow it to cook on one side until brown, turn it over do the same on the other. When its nicely browned on both sides, the meat should be done. Remove to a paper towel covered plate. If the meat oozes blood... it isn't done...
There should be a couple of tablespoons of oil/fat left in the skillet. If not, add a bit more. Sprinkle the hot oil with a couple of rounded tablespoons of flour. Stir the flour into the fat so it absorbs it. Keep scraping it around the skillet, it's OK if it picks up the crusty pieces. When it has cooked for a bit, it should no longer be white. Grab your milk and pour in 2 or 3 cups while stirring. Make sure to scrape the stuff off the bottom of the skillet.. lots of flavor there. Continue heating and stirring until the mixture begins to boil. Don't cook it too hot once it boils you can turn it down to a fast simmer, it should continue to boil. Keep stirring and scraping down the sides of the skillet until it begins to thicken. Taste.. if it needs salt...add salt.. it will probably need pepper. Don't stop stirring or you can scald the gravy. Keep it moving.

Once it thickens it's ready to serve. Dish up the mashed potatoes from the microwave, pour the gravy over the top.. you can gravy the meat too..there isn't anything much better than cubed steak gravy.

Congratulations.. the flour/fat mixture is called a roux.. you can make gravy this way from almost any fried meats. My favorites are cubed steak, chicken, ham, pork chops.

OK.. how about this..
We will skip making home made mashed potatoes. Get a foil packet of Idahoan Instant mashed potatoes. You can cook them in the microwave. That takes care of the potatoes..

Lets cook... Cubed Steak and make gravy!!! Don't fret... it's not hard.
Buy a small package of Cubed Steak(looks like a small waffle pattern on meat). You will also need some milk.

Take a plastic bag and dump in a cup of flour. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper. Take the cubed steak out of the package, drop in the bag and shake to cover with the flour mixture.

Heat some oil(1/4 cup) in a skillet. when its hot..but not smoking, drop the meat in. Allow it to cook on one side until brown, turn it over do the same on the other. When its nicely browned on both sides, the meat should be done. Remove to a paper towel covered plate. If the meat oozes blood... it isn't done...
There should be a couple of tablespoons of oil/fat left in the skillet. If not, add a bit more. Sprinkle the hot oil with a couple of rounded tablespoons of flour. Stir the flour into the fat so it absorbs it. Keep scraping it around the skillet, it's OK if it picks up the crusty pieces. When it has cooked for a bit, it should no longer be white. Grab your milk and pour in 2 or 3 cups while stirring. Make sure to scrape the stuff off the bottom of the skillet.. lots of flavor there. Continue heating and stirring until the mixture begins to boil. Don't cook it too hot once it boils you can turn it down to a fast simmer, it should continue to boil. Keep stirring and scraping down the sides of the skillet until it begins to thicken. Taste.. if it needs salt...add salt.. it will probably need pepper. Don't stop stirring or you can scald the gravy. Keep it moving.

Once it thickens it's ready to serve. Dish up the mashed potatoes from the microwave, pour the gravy over the top.. you can gravy the meat too..there isn't anything much better than cubed steak gravy.

Congratulations.. the flour/fat mixture is called a roux.. you can make gravy this way from almost any fried meats. My favorites are cubed steak, chicken, ham, pork chops.

sounds tasty, although i've never really liked gravy much...but i plan to do this recipe soon :)

may i have an official recipe? i see tons of cubed steak w/gravy but with different amounts and its pretty confusing, may i have one that serves 2?

may i have an official recipe? i see tons of cubed steak w/gravy but with different amounts and its pretty confusing, may i have one that serves 2?

Just use a smaller amount of meat, smaller amount of flour.. I have made as little as 1 cup of gravy. Amounts aren't critical... Frankly for stuff like this I don't measure anything. I just toss it in the pan.

I often cook this for myself. A couple pieces of cubed steak, sprinkle the skillet with flour, stir, let the flour cook off that raw flour flavor.. pour in some milk and cook to thicken.

Left over cubed steak is a GOOD thing... it makes great sandwiches....

How about you try Sweet Potato Soup.

Ingredients:

1. ? cup chopped onion
2. 2 T. butter
3. 1 T. flour
4. 2 cans chicken broth
5. 2-3 sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
6. 1 tsp. Brown sugar
7. ? tsp. Salt
8. 1/8 tsp pepper
9. 1/8 tsp. Nutmeg
10. 1 cup whipping cream

Instructions:

1. In a large pot, saute the onion in the butter until tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the chicken broth, sweet potatoes, brown sugar, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cream and cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Back
Top Bottom